Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting up the roadside cross - The forgotten highway

Bike
    suzuki GS500

rural #ing

my undersatanding is all those red #'s you see on farm gates are for the emeergency services and are the distance from the main road in 100m units
    e.g. 50 means 5km from the road junction another e.g. 153 is 15.3 km
    Not sure how we can help with geography lessons though
    The project bike builders motto: The perfect is the enemy of the good

GS 500 page includes wiki : http://www.gstwin.com/

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhandler View Post

Can i also make a small plea about emergency services in rural areas are volunteers so they are likely to be at home on the PC , feeding the dog etc when the pager goes off and this is reflected in their response time.

Cheers
    The first responder is this case is pissed that she was sent 20 minutes away when she was two minutes from the site. It does not matter that she was a volunteer ... when given wrong information ... SOMEONE HAS TO PAY .. and its the comms centre in this case.
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Thanks so much for sharing your journey and story.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    98 Triumph Thunderbird 900
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kari

Like everyone else has said ... thanks for sharing your very special road trip.
    I was thinking of you yesterday and how things went.
    Cudos for acheving the Forgotten Highway hun!

Live your life in such a way,
    that when your feet hit the floor in the morning,

Satan shudders & says....'Oh shit!....she's awake!!'

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Well done Kari
    Its so sad that a moment's inattention, loss of concentration, or loss of focus resulted in Grub's death and the need for you to do this trip.
    There is a message in there, folks. We just can not afford to let our focus slip while riding, it could very well be the death of us.
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    XJR 1300
    life goes on slowly...well done and a great effort...take care...
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Lost for words kari, thanks for sharing.

Bike
    '07 RSVR1000
    Thanks for your post, Kari. You providing details about Grub's death certainly reinforces that our gear only protects us from abrasive surfaces, not impact.

Quote Originally Posted by birdhandler View Post
    my undersatanding is all those red #'s you see on farm gates are for the emeergency services and are the distance from the main road in 100m units
    e.g. 50 means 5km from the road junction another e.g. 153 is 15.3 km
    Not sure how we can help with geography lessons though
    I always thought they were in smaller units than that? We used to live rurally and our little red number was 609, which was roughly 6km up the road. When I'm riding off the beaten track, I try to remember the towns/road signs I pass so I could give someone an idea of my location, if need be.

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    Wow, what courage you have, Kari.
    Brett would have been proud of you.

I'm just honoured to have been able to make a cross to best remember him. It's the first one I've ever done (and hopefully the last).

Like others have said, I shall definitely stop there if I ever ride up that way and remember Grub.

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for relating your trip and experiences and honest feelings about all of this ... I well remember riding this stretch for the first time and thinking how special it was.

To hear of Grub and his death there brought that connection back to me. Your ride back to the area and your remembrance of him with the attendance and help of others touched my feelings and makes me reflect on our journey through life.

Thank Kari for sharing. Ride on ...
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Just found this thread,great strength Kari.

The rural area have differing marker pegs for emergency services,they give approx distances from town or road start,i.e 150 is 1.5km,2350 is 23.5km.Some areas (Taranaki for sure have odd and even numbers represent lhs or rhs of road)have them on the gate posts or in the Naki on blue pegs by roadside entrances(most get mown or flattened).

The only redeeming thing about Taranaki rescues is the chopper pilots usually hover up SH43 if the victim isn't found where despatch says they should be.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    2007 CB900
    This morning I made contact with the St Johns person whose role it is to oversee all communciations centres. We have agreed that he will investigate the calls and details around the incident when Grub died, and follow up with a report for me. This is not to find and blame anyone for systemic fault - but to find if there was one - which I believe there may be.

If there is something to be found I hope that they find it ... for me there is no way it could have made a difference he was so badly hurt .. but for others in future I don't want this to be a problem.
    Last edited by Nasty; 20th January 2009 at 14:22. Reason: add reasoning
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    kari, i wish id known you were in town. glad you found a decent use for a cheese cutter... grub would have been laughing his head off at that one.

thank you for having the bravery to write out the report... reading it brought tears to my eyes, so i cant imagine how you felt writing it.

i will always be honored to have known brett... there are are not enough people like him in this world, and his death was a loss many people will not realise. it always impressed me how he was able to cross generations and be everyones best friend, no matter the age. i feel sorry for the people who didnt have the chance to either meet him in person or know him online.

one day, i will ride that road, and i, like others, will stop at grubs corner and probably end up having a cry.

a gps or beacon sounds like a great idea, and will be something i will investigate. bit like the beacons the boaties use, right? i do hope you are able to get some answers from st john, and im also hoping to read confirmation on what the farm numbers mean.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    This is what we in the Manawatu have come up with as a result of Grub's accident. So far, it's looking invaluable and I urge anyone going into these types of areas to get one. It was only $450.00 plus a small subscription, which shared among a group of regular riders is nothing compared to it's potential value.

http://gps.about.com/od/handheldgpsr...rs/fr/spot.htm

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, for being open and sharing.

Loves to you :-)
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Thread Information