Thread: Zeal doesn't like cold starts

Bike
    2002 Yamaha XVS650 V-Star

Zeal doesn't like cold starts

It's been bugging me for the past couple weeks and i don't know what the problem could be. My Zeal doesn't like cold starts with or without the choke. When the bike finally does turn over (after about 50 goes) it runs really slowly, like at about 100rpm, for about 10-15 seconds. I gradually give it a tiny bit of throttle (cos too much and it will conk out) then it speeds up to normal. Once it does start i can maintain it until it runs at normal rpm. Then it's fine to go.

I am thinking it is somehow flooding yet it runs fine when warm. Could the carbs flood even when the fuel tap is not even on? Will give it another try now.
    Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Bike
    None any more
    My Zeal was a bit dodgy on cold mornings too. Trying to start it on the choke would result in a bad case of the sulks. It would always fire up without choke but then need the choke on to keep running until it had warmed up sufficient to ride.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Honda PC800
    My thinking Ron is you may have one of two issues.1) the battery is a bit tired so it hasn't got enough ooph to give big fat sparks to get her fired up.
    Try connecting some jumper leads to a car battery one morning then see how she starts.If she fires up then youve got a tired battery or 2) your method of starting is wrong for that bike--try the hitcher method -no choke till she catches then ease some on.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2002 Yamaha XVS650 V-Star
    Thing is there is no trouble starting the bike at all when it's warm. When cold and I first try to start it, it will start nicely for about 5 seconds then the revs die down and it finally conks out. This happens with or without the choke, with the fuel tap on or off. When trying to start it directly after, it just turns over and over but won't keep running. I did notice that after pushing it down the driveway, stopping, then turning it over, it started but ran ever so slowly (couple hundred rpm) and if i could manage to maintain the revs I could bring them up to normal within about 20-25 seconds. Once I can do that it runs fine.

You may be right in saying it's the battery. I can't confirm how old it is as I've had the bike for only a few months. I just assumed it would be a fuel/carb related problem due to the funny throttle.

I will give the battery a go though and will also try Hitcher's no choke --> gradual choke method and see if she goes

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep it coming.

Ron

Bike
    Triumph America
    i would try a higher octane fuel for the colder months, had an old fzr that would not run when cold.so thanks to the advice of the kb team tried running 98 and it worked.
    im sure if you searched thru the old threads you would find it.
    A universal dream of greatness is that
    We push ourselves to the limit
    Yet still be brilliant when the chips are down.
    Sometimes , The struggle kills the dream.

Bike
    sold
    Might pay to check the plugs as well,my bandit had the same issue,plugs were covered in muck

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I'd also do a leakdown test - Yam motor - hard starting - could be valves...

Thread Information