Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped it twice.. Why?

Bike
    SV650K6

Arrow Dropped it twice.. Why?

Yes I dropped my bike twice the same circumstances both times, doing a right hand u turn to a halt. At the point of stopping bike drops to the right instantly. Fall takes me by surprise but am able to protect it from damage. What exactly is happening here? Wisecracks ok but serious answer would be appreciated.. Cheers.. Bombus

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Have you tried putting your right foot down - this is sure to help with your problem
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    are you turning in to hard? is the bike to heavy for your ability? maybe you yourself need to think about exactly what you are doing when it is falling over
    http://thenc30project.blogspot.com/

Popping wheelies on sj50's since 2003
    Code:
    if (user.postcount > user.yearsriding*user.ccrating) {
    user = kiwibiker.postwhore}

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    don't lean it, steer it slower, and put both feet down. Just don't lean.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Spread the load of your testicles.. one each side of the tank. Works for me.

On the serious side. Where are your eyes looking? When slow manoeuvring it is much easier to balance the bike when you focus your eyes way ahead on the horizon, rather than looking 18 inches in front of the tire or where you might place your foot.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombus View Post
    Yes I dropped my bike twice the same circumstances both times, doing a right hand u turn to a halt. At the point of stopping bike drops to the right instantly. Fall takes me by surprise but am able to protect it from damage. What exactly is happening here?
    You should get into the practise of never stopping completely while you are turning, ensure the bike is moving straight and then stop, which will allow you to balance the bike and prepare to comfortably come to a standstill. If stopping while turning is unavoidable just concentrate on keeping the bike upright and balanced and try and stop with the front wheel straight so you don't suddenly find yourself off balance when you come to a halt...i think.

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombus View Post
    Yes I dropped my bike twice the same circumstances both times, doing a right hand u turn to a halt. At the point of stopping bike drops to the right instantly. Fall takes me by surprise but am able to protect it from damage. What exactly is happening here? Wisecracks ok but serious answer would be appreciated.. Cheers.. Bombus
    Well exactly, it's gravity 'overtaking' inertia. The only way you are going to get on top of this is practice. Supermarket carparks are ideal. You can start from the stationary position and practice the turn as tight as you can with out dropping. Just learn the 'feel' of the turn. I't comes with practice.

In my day as a youngster before the sportsbike brigade were 'abroad' the 'mark' of a good rider was how good he could do a u turn. I'ts a skill that is rarely seen today but when you see a biker do a uuee and leans it and powers out it is a joy to behold. Such a rare sight and one I have never mastered.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Hm. If you stall a big single on a full lock turn, things get very hairy very quickly. As I (re) discovered yesterday.

Stopping on full lock is tricky at the best of times. Best to try to ease off the lock before the final stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder View Post

In my day as a youngster before the sportsbike brigade were 'abroad' the 'mark' of a good rider was how good he could do a u turn. I'ts a skill that is rarely seen today but when you see a biker do a uuee and leans it and powers out it is a joy to behold. Such a rare sight and one I have never mastered.

Skyryder
    I'm not young - but the best U turn I've ever seen was an old guy who was a ''Milk Bar Cowboy'' in the '50's,he had actualy been a friend of my father's I found out years later.He would go from gutter to gutter - lay it into the left side curb and go around under power flat on the pegs,then put it into the other curb and power out.Beautifull...I've never been able to do that.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    look up .

Bike
    nuffin
    Funny that, one of the tests on the BHS test for L-licence was a stop on a bend. Piece of piss on a Ginny, but I'll bet it's a whole different kettle of fish on one of those - tall, heavy, gravity sucking you down. Principle then was getting the bike upright before trying to stop. Maybe using the rear brake more? As said previously if you wait longer until you're more upright. Then you can use both rear + front brake together and get the left foot down. Bike stabilty lives in the front wheel at low speeds. If you load up the front you lose your stability but if the back loads up the rear tyre just skids along in a straight line.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr. Suess

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    SV's are top heavy... so make sure you strighten the bike up before stopping... I know what you mean. Also try pressing lightly on the rear brake, it'll help with the turn.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    600RR3
    keep the power on...

gas off or clutch in and it will fall over straight away if you have much lean on...if it starts to fall power on and it will stand a bit.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Which is the point you do NOT want the brute to stall !
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '06 VTR250
    When doing u turns at slow speed on full lock or close to it, I tend to only use the back break as it stops the front end from compressing. I find it much more stable. That's my 2cents anyway.
    Riding an "Antique Honda" since 2005...

“The secret to creativity, is knowing how to hide your sources” ~ Albert Einstein ~

Thread Information