Page 6 of 75 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    Two of our three boys were homeschooled as well.
    I homeschooled my way through high school, thanks to having weird-arse parents

Don't think it did me any harm though.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom

Damn those weird-arse parents.
    Err... my eldest (home-schooled) son is a BIG Discworld fan. Got Terry Pratchett's signature too.
    Doesn't like bikes though - he vibrates all over if I give him a lift.

Weirdo.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    Doesn't like bikes though - he vibrates all over if I give him a lift.

Weirdo.
    I dunno. Yoof of today.

kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Just read "Lovely Green Eyes" by Arnold Lustig,pretty harrowing stuff about a girl in Auschwitz who denies that she`s Jewish(knowing she`d be gassed if she hadn`t) and volunteers(if that`s the right word)to be a prostitute in a German field-Brothel.Might sound like sleazy exploitative shit but it`s far from it.Shows the true barbarity and madness of war and in particular the psychopathic nature of the Nazis.Really good bit about the main character telling a Rabbi of her experiences,she`s accepted what she went through,saw and heard while he`s driven to the point of madness by what she tells him and seriously questions his God.It`s written by a survivor of Auschwitz and his descriptions of what went on are all the more powerful for not being sensationalist,just "this is what happened",and what happened was truly horrific and made me at least wonder how people can sink to the depths they do.Scary resonance with recent events in Iraq as well,nowhere near the same scale but the same contempt for other human beings who are seen as somehow inferior,the bringing out of the baser side of human nature.

Bike
    None
    I finished reading "All quiet on the western front" not too long ago, good read
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Stephen Leather 'Hard Landing' and Lee Child 'The Enemy'. Both out on new release - both fantastically on par with the previous novels - excellent read

Bike
    None any more
    Reading "Travelling with Che Guevara -- the making of a revolutionary". This is Alberto Granado's diary account of a road trip involving himself, Che and a Norton called "Ponderosa II" around South America in 1952. This diary was combined with Che's account of the same trip to make the screenplay for the movie "The motorcycle diaries". Highly recommended!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Reading "Travelling with Che Guevara -- the making of a revolutionary". This is Alberto Granado's diary account of a road trip involving himself, Che and a Norton called "Ponderosa II" around South America in 1952. This diary was combined with Che's account of the same trip to make the screenplay for the movie "The motorcycle diaries". Highly recommended!
    Very good book. I'll reserve judgement on the movie til after I've seen it. Just hope they haven't gone hollywood on it (probably too much to expect I know).

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Lemur
    Very good book. I'll reserve judgement on the movie til after I've seen it. Just hope they haven't gone hollywood on it (probably too much to expect I know).
    This movie was on at the recent film festival and reviewed very well. It's an "independent" production, so isn't oozing Brad Pitt and Monet Mazur...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom

Yeah baby yeah, we are wierd -arse parents, gr8 huh!! H/schooling is an excellent way to learn, my kids all got an excellent start with home schooling,
    just really hard work for parents.

Bike
    GSX-R600K3
    Quote Originally Posted by toads
    Yeah baby yeah, we are wierd -arse parents, gr8 huh!! H/schooling is an excellent way to learn, my kids all got an excellent start with home schooling,
    just really hard work for parents.
    I'll have to agree it's the way to go. Having been to school for a total of 1 year in my life. I got to learn stuff I wanted to, as well as the stuff that I sought of had to. Having learnt other stuff has enabled me to get some good jobs that I wouldn't have been able to get had I been in school.

David

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    I've just finished Stuart Barker's Barry Sheene biography - a great book, very easy to read and brought back some great memories. Thanks for the loan Matthewt. Thoroughly recommended.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Blair
    I've just finished Stuart Barker's Barry Sheene biography - a great book, very easy to read and brought back some great memories. Thanks for the loan Matthewt. Thoroughly recommended.
    I've got about two dozen books on the shelf waiting to be read. That one is ranked at about No 13. Maybe it will get a promotion...
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Lemur
    They most certainly havent gone hollywood on it... Its one of those docos that have really good characters..... The storyline is a bit rambling, like the books apparently, and I suffered from being constantly surprised when hollywood moments didn't happen - kinda took away from the film a little, as the background music / heroic moment I was expecting just didn't eventuate...
    Not that thats a bad thing....
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder
    I am trying to find the name and the author of a novel I read some time ago. It is about a Pope who sells the art of the Vatican and gets assasinated I think in Sicily.

Has anyone read a book with this theme?

Skyryder
    It's called The Road to Gandolfo ... I can't remember the psuedonem but it's a Robert Ludlum book ... really funny and the intro is worth a read as well. He had to wait to become famous before he dared to release it !!
    A man can move much faster without a millstone around his neck, so if he gets the chance to lose her he'd better drop her and run like heck !! .. (10cc "Modern Man Blues" - Deceptive Bends)

Thread Information