Thread: Look Again

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Look Again

There's a new Look Again ad on TV and hopefully other media. It's actually quite good, although obviously I'm biased. But my immediate thought was all of the motorbikes that weren't seen were in the wrong place, generally too far left.

It was something that wasn't exactly front of mind for me until I did a Ride Forever course, but even then I had the impression that it was mainly to help me see as far ahead as possible.

Then I watched a YouTube video that showed very clearly how where you position yourself on the road makes you more or less visible. It's now something I'm constantly aware of when riding.

Maybe I'm slow, or missed that episode, but I'm sure many other motorcyclists don't understand the importance of where they position their bike on the road.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Maybe I'm slow, or missed that episode, but I'm sure many other motorcyclists don't understand the importance of where they position their bike on the road.
    The advice I got when I started riding motorcycles many years ago basically came down to two things;
    - Position yourself on the road where you would be in the drivers seat of a car
    - Assume everyone else is an idiot who's likely to do something to kill you.
    Pretty simple stuff, but being seen and observing ahead are probably the best way to reduce the chances of hitting or being hit by something.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I went to the riding school at Western Springs back in the 70's, but I was only 15 at the time and doubt I was paying attention!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    We taught conspicuity, which doesn't spell check well. Right hand lane, but approaching an intersection, it can help to swap left then back to right lane. Lateral movement is easier to judge distance, the movement may make it register, plus they may think, what's that guy doing?
    If they are thinking about you, they have noticed you.

Obviously this depends on situation, but a simple pass between wheel track a fair distance away is not affecting your ability to react.
    It also means you are in action rather than just trawling along going to a trance. You are actively engaging the enemy.

Sometimes people following on bikes say. "What were you doing back there?"
    I say, "Did you notice that?"
    "Yeah"
    "Well hopefully they did too"

I often tell people I ride with, "I reserve the right to emergency brake at any point. If you have a problem with that you are too close or feel free to ride in front ".
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    When riding in an urban area you position to see and be seen. Use the manoeuvrability of a motorcycle to your advantage. You should have plenty of space to stop from 50kph, so don't usually need to see as far ahead as possible (like in a rural environment with higher speeds).

Number one risk to motorcyclists in urban areas is intersections.

Too close to the vehicle in front and on the right side of the lane, cars pulling out from the side can't see you (had a near miss like that). Too close to the left and cars looking to turn across can't see you. Too far behind the vehicle in front and cars will use the gap to pull out or cross your path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    At least a couple of the ads I immediately thought that the motorcycle was in the worst spot for visibility.

Thread Information