Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: ACC - Here we go again

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Nice work Berries must spread rep although your cc breakdown is a little biased as all other groups stepped by 100cc ish although it’s prob correct that the big baggers are over represented.
    Just thinking of making a sudden direction change or effective emergency braking with the mass and geometry of that style of bike mitigates the desire to own something like that purely to experience the big cc twin torque outputs.
    Yes perhaps we argue a bigger cc bracket to seperate that lot but trouble is the likes of your big ktms and Africa twins keep sneaking up in cc to pass emissions tests so we’d end up penalising some slightly safer riders also.
    Is there any data on riders type and quality of protective wear?
    They might record 'restraint use' for a car occupant but there is no field for helmet use. Certainly nothing in the crash data about clothing.

The cc breakdown was just because that is what I was interested in, so bias was intended. With a couple of Triumph Rockets in there it would have doubled the number of columns required to split everything by 100cc.

One issue shown on this ACC graph is that the actual number of claims isn't that much different between bike sizes, it is just that the average cost per claim goes up with engine size. I don't really get why that is given that if you come off a bike at 100km/h it doesn't really matter what bike you were sitting on a few seconds earlier.

changing-the-classification-of-motorcycles

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    One issue shown on this ACC graph is that the actual number of claims isn't that much different between bike sizes, it is just that the average cost per claim goes up with engine size. I don't really get why that is given that if you come off a bike at 100km/h it doesn't really matter what bike you were sitting on a few seconds earlier.

older riders taking longer to rehabilitate?

Bike
    It was on the good
    This table shows age and engine size. You can interpret it in many ways but you are probably right. Old bones etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike 3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	355018  

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

It does matter what protection you have, and the typical cruiser rider dresses more for style than protection. One simple example is helmet type, as I've damaged the front of two full face helmets in crashes over the years. There could have been significant treatment costs otherwise.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Bigger engine size could be behind more complex injury. Even a low speed fall becomes nasty if you have an ankle smasher due to bigger bike size. Seems a common theme in ADV circles.
    Then there’s the increased likelihood of high side style crashes with more horsepower.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Then there’s the increased likelihood of high side style crashes with more horsepower.
    Even on a cruiser? Maybe torque related lower speed incidents I guess (slippery roundabouts etc).

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    older riders taking longer to rehabilitate?

But old riders will die sooner (aging out, not crash injury) so wont need to be supported by ACC for so long.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    I have several mates who are in the low km bracket for various reasons work hours/money/wife/kids etc and I think a lack of kms is higher risk. Although they are exposed less they are not keeping their eye in and maintaining skill level. There’s a reason why the USAF wastes thousands of tons of jet fuel on training when pilots are already at top gun level.
    You may THINK that lack of km is an aggravating factor, but is there any data to back that up? I'm not aware that annual distance traveled is recorded anywhere in the crash statistics. Anecdotal evidence isn't the same as actual evidence.

The top gun analogy is a red herring. It's like saying that riders should have racetrack experience at the highest level.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    You may THINK that lack of km is an aggravating factor, but is there any data to back that up?
    Police re-certifications tend to prove this premise.

Police riders have to recertify each year to remain operational. If they don't ride much through the year, they have to do practise runs before trying the test.

Because riding skills are decaying skills. I know that myself, it takes a few kms to get back to the sharpness I once had.

Of course. I could be wrong. It's the interweb, after all.

Thread Information