Thread: Minimum brake pad thickness

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Minimum brake pad thickness

The front brake pads on the R1 are starting to look a bit thin and measure at 2-3 mm. The manual says to replace them when the groove in the pads is no longer visible, but I'm not that brave!

I've found some info from EBC that recommends 1 mm for road use and 2 mm on the track. Does that sound about right?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    suzuki
    order some and keep an eye on them, it all depends on the wear rate with you riding, 1 mm is fine unless you're going for a long hard squirt

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I checked how long the pads have lasted and was shocked to find that they have survived nearly 30,000 km, which is surprising given that none of the previous sets got close to 10,000 km. They are Brembo SR, which are "Sintered compound for sports use on the track and the road." Unlike many sintered pads, they work well when cold and wet, have good feel and plenty of stopping power once warm. Plus they don't trash the discs, unlike some others I have used.

I might just buy a new set, give the callipers a good clean, and replace the old pads!

Thread Information