Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: northland power outage sabotage opportunity....

Bike
    suzuki

northland power outage sabotage opportunity....

It's almost funny that a crew of people did such a thing as took out three sets of bolts at once from a tower and left much of northland in a bit of strife. The service providers have publicly said that was the reason
    But in all this how many arseholes out there have twigged to the fact that these seem to be easy to unbolt and can and will cause a fair bit of chaos, especially as right where it happened there were two sets of lines and pylons and it wouldn't be hard to drop one in each line and really do some damage that would take a lot longer to rectify.
    This was easily accessable, imagine some of the out of way places where a dropped pylon or three will be a bit harder to repair?

Aside from this it will make a cool you tube video for people who have no idea of the cost of this damage, not they can if found get money from for reparation.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    A second line was also off line for maintenance. One would think that you would not do maintenance on both lines at once

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    It's almost funny that a crew of people did such a thing as took out three sets of bolts at once from a tower and left much of northland in a bit of strife. The service providers have publicly said that was the reason
    But in all this how many arseholes out there have twigged to the fact that these seem to be easy to unbolt and can and will cause a fair bit of chaos, especially as right where it happened there were two sets of lines and pylons and it wouldn't be hard to drop one in each line and really do some damage that would take a lot longer to rectify.
    This was easily accessable, imagine some of the out of way places where a dropped pylon or three will be a bit harder to repair?

Aside from this it will make a cool you tube video for people who have no idea of the cost of this damage, not they can if found get money from for reparation.
    Jeepers, stop giving people ideas!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Who needs terrorists when you have a French owned company doing maintenance on essential infrastructure.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    A second line was also off line for maintenance. One would think that you would not do maintenance on both lines at once
    if you were to paint a line of pylons it would take months and months so there no doubt is a level of work that can be done while still in service,,,, At the end of the day it took a matter of hours to hurry up with the other repairs and get that one back on line

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    if you were to paint a line of pylons it would take months and months so there no doubt is a level of work that can be done while still in service,,,, At the end of the day it took a matter of hours to hurry up with the other repairs and get that one back on line
    Guy "in the trade" on another forum reckons the number of "orange juices" charged up at the motel the night before might have something to do with it.

Bike
    husaberg
    Its pretty rare to do work on both lines at the same time when there is any potent risk to integrity of the lines the TP guys that make the decisions to can scheduled work and outages, even when there is essentially no risk are not the most popular at Transpower. They are traditionally incredibly risk averse.
    So this one smells a bit fishy, as I find it hard to believe this work would have gone ahead when the second of apparently 2 lines was out.
    Someone's taken a few shortcuts......or put some pressure on to go against proper procedures.. maybe the work needed to be fast tracked. Like when the national were last in power and ignored all the code of practice rules for building under the lines in CHCH.
    or when Jude Collins husbands companies digger dug up the marsden point fuel line....
    At the end of the last key govt the complete spare towers on this side were sent to scrap on TP orders along with all the spares that were stored for free.
    in 68 when 20 towers were lost in the earthquake ,old poles were used to replace them. They were only finally replaced about 10 or so years ago.
    A few towers here are fly in only only foot or helicopter access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Then there's the Auckland rain radar that failed recently during some bad weather . The only access is by helicopter, so it couldn't be repaired until the weather improved...

You really wonder sometimes.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Twenty years ago, three power pylons in Molesworth were toppled by hurricane-force winds.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/work-u...U42E4SFA2LHR4/

Not particularly easy access there.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Someone's taken a few shortcuts......or put some pressure on to go against proper procedures.
    Ah yes. I recall working on a construction project once and a supervisor shouted. "You've got a safety margin, use it!"
    That's not what safety margins are for.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Ah yes. I recall working on a construction project once and a supervisor shouted. "You've got a safety margin, use it!"
    That's not what safety margins are for.
    Yes, I've seen things go wrong when people utilize the safety margin.

Bike
    husaberg
    Oh shit this is pure gross incompetence of a scale I find hard to believe. All the nuts on 3 of the 4 legs baseplates.

for f's sakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    raptor 1000
    it was this blokeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	448546781_893381226166701_2683023972074492736_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	354774

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Oh shit this is pure gross incompetence of a scale I find hard to believe. All the nuts on 3 of the 4 legs baseplates.

for f's sakes.
    Yep, that was the immediate rumour, not denied by Northpower. I also bet that that was probably common practice.
    Who will be found liable is the big question, because it may not be the people that removed the nuts.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Yep, that was the immediate rumour, not denied by Northpower. I also bet that that was probably common practice.
    Who will be found liable is the big question, because it may not be the people that removed the nuts.
    The day it happened there were easterly winds that became gusty at times. That is an unusual wind for the Kaipara, maybe that is what caught them out.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Thread Information