View Poll Results: Private vs govt

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Govt must maintain a ferry service

6 33.33%
  • Leave it to private enterprise

1 5.56%
  • Have navy run it to create extra capacity (for nationwide disaster response/jobs)

2 11.11%
  • Annex South Island to independence

4 22.22%
  • Create air link with rental cars other side

0 0%
  • Buy new boats

9 50.00%
  • Patch up rust buckets

0 0%
  • Mix of public and private options as we have now

5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inter island ferry

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Inter island ferry

I see people quoting Nicola Willis already “nz will have a safe and reliable ferry service”.
    We we do it’s just not owned by the govt, it’s called bluebridge.

It seems from day one Awatere has been cursed with continual problems no matter who is in govt.

Despite the kiwi she’ll be right attitude let’s just drag it off at next high tide, common sense has prevailed and the ship will be there for another day at least while a proper survey of any damage can be carried out.

A good reminder of anything can happen anytime.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'd be interested to see the voting above broken down into South vs North Islands.

i suspect Southerners have a better idea how much the ferries mean to NZ's economy.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'd be interested to see the voting above broken down into South vs North Islands.

i suspect Southerners have a better idea how much the ferries mean to NZ's economy.
    It might not be as much as we think. They have two significant seaports for exports and also chch international airport for airfreight. I know a lot of trucking operators are happy to get their hands on a load of empty pallets for backload out let alone real freight northwards.
    South Island is about 22% of GPD with GDP per capita being slightly lower prob due to lower value bulk commodities.
    That there is only one free market competitor (bluebridge) who have certain amount of reliable revenue due to their connects with strait freight and other trucking companies says a lot.
    We all enjoy the luxury of being able to take our private vehicles across but can we afford to subsidise that?
    What would really make sense from an economic perspective would be to invest in coastal shipping direct from say akld/tauranga to chch/bluff. Cost per km is about same as road transport but downside is time delays and double handling/damages and someone needs to front up for long term charter of vessels and crew.

Some interesting reading;

https://nzae.substack.com/p/wither-r...-crump-heatley

https://www.stats.govt.nz/informatio...ded-march-2020

Bike
    It was on the good
    I think this gadgee knows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferryreedom.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	354769  

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Bluebridge have it a lot easier in that they dont cater for rail. Even though this government is ideologically opposed to rail, it still exists as the best way to move a large volumes of freight. Dont overlook that either end of the cook straight link still connects to the major industrial areas by relatively narrow and winding roads eg hudalees, kaikoura, rimutakas, etc, not like trucks can magically zoom off to where they are going once they get off the boats
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    what twat put an option there for an air link and a fleet of rentals cars, yet failed to mention motorcycles on a motorcycle forum?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what twat put an option there for an air link and a fleet of rentals cars, yet failed to mention motorcycles on a motorcycle forum?
    Guilty as charged, although rental cars is a generic industry term that also covers rental vans, rental utes rental trucks. Rental motorcycle outfits already exist in South Island also ;p
    The are still six options which enable you to take your bike, and of course the most reliable option is the existing Bluebridge fleet which somehow seem to successfully operate without state welfare.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    The are still six options which enable you to take your bike, and of course the most reliable option is the existing Bluebridge fleet which somehow seem to successfully operate without state welfare.
    yeah like they have never broken down or tried as plan to modernise their fleet once and for all

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Guilty as charged, although rental cars is a generic industry term that also covers rental vans, rental utes rental trucks. Rental motorcycle outfits already exist in South Island also ;p
    Bluebridge have nearly as many breakdowns as the Kiwirail ships. Just not as well publicised.

Jellywrestler will probably have personal experience of this around any given Xmastime when coming from Wanganui to the GP in ChCh.
    Turn up to a GP here and ask any competitor - many tales to be told of cancellations and breakdowns.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Bluebridge have nearly as many breakdowns as the Kiwirail ships. Just not as well publicised.

Jellywrestler will probably have personal experience of this around any given Xmastime when coming from Wanganui to the GP in ChCh.
    Turn up to a GP here and ask any competitor - many tales to be told of cancellations and breakdowns.
    Yes your right I agree with both of you, even been shafted by the big blue myself but at least their Comms was good about what was going on.
    I should have explained my angle better, that pricing I’d pretty much same for both ticket wise, yet with interidlander we pay twice because our taxes fund it.
    On top of that political issues/cycles and budgets are likely in the realm of what stops this sinking during next three years where as the private operator is in for long haul.

I forgot another option that could be the bike trans of cook straight. Couple of guys with cigarette boats doing Miami vice style speed runs with couple bikes on board. Normal ferry blows out nearly half a day plus a motel at one end so I’d pay $500 for a 1 hr express option. Maybe more for direct to West Coast with the excitement of a river bar crossing thrown in!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A somewhat dissenting view but having used both I prefer the rail ferries to Bluebridge. There was a particular ship I liked, the Arahura? There were Ds for tie downs just inside the door and bikes were first off. I didn't like the Kaitaki, the trucks were first off and bikes last. You spent the next half hour or whatever overtaking one truck after another.

Blue bridge seemed to be older ships, there were no tie down points there was just a chain along the side the ship. Not at all confidence inspiring.

Last Christchurch trip was fly/rent a car.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R100GSPD
    they need to leverge the existing mega ferries contract to build new rail ferries to match the infrastructure we already have. All these breakdowns (including Bluebridge they just dont get the same publicity) are because ALL the existing ferries are old.

Bike
    husaberg

I suspect that national would not be so keen to neglect the cook strait power cable as they are lacking in foresight re the ferries.
    the clock is ticking, the new ferries Nicky cancelled were set to arrive in 2 years time.
    Every day after 2026 that we're without new ferries is a day that we legitimately can blame every single ferry problem directly on Nicola Willis. She is in a no win situation, As I am sure she can't now be seen to uturn. Any ferry will be dearer than it was when the prices were first negotiated, But if you can't rely on the steering and propulsion they cant sail. How long is it before she kills some people. I am sure Luxton will put a price on people's safety much like Boeing or Telsa or Ford before them did.

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Seems it’s the wharves that are the biggest problem?

Even if you ordered three new smaller ferries instead of two big ones, the wharves still need to be replaced, they are very old. So let's see what they come back with but I don't think they're going to get anything cheaper than what was already under way.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...alised-hipkins

That’s according to Hipkins, but makes sense to me since the need for new ships looks to be a given.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    they need to leverge the existing mega ferries contract to build new rail ferries to match the infrastructure we already have. All these breakdowns (including Bluebridge they just dont get the same publicity) are because ALL the existing ferries are old.
    they seem to spend billions at a time upgrading state highway one so why not a few billon on some decent boats and wharves to match?. Everything costs billions, just put in on the tab, it wont get any cheaper.

Thread Information