Thread: Setting Of Speed Limits - Consultation

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Setting Of Speed Limits - Consultation

If speed limits concern you...........

The Government has opened consultation on how speed limits are going to be set in future. The legislation around this is called the Land Transport Rule: Setting of Speed Limits Rule 2024

Feedback is sought on
    1. Proposal 1 – require cost benefit analysis for speed limit changes
    2. Proposal 2 – strengthen consultation requirements
    3. Proposal 3 – require variable speed limits outside school gates
    4. Proposal 4 – introduce a Ministerial Speed Objective
    5. Proposal 5 – changes to speed limits classifications
    6. Proposal 6 - update the Director’s criteria for assessing speed management plans for certification
    7. Proposal 7 – reverse recent speed limit reductions

Other matters are also discussed.

The consultation is open to individuals, organisations or groups, and I encourage you to express your view on how speed limits will be set in the future.

There are two options for making a submission
    1. Download the consultation document, fill it out, return it to the email address on the website.
    2. Make your submission online, via the website.

The consultation can be found here

https://consult.transport.govt.nz/.....g-of-speed.../

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Speed signs are optional. They're guidelines for the weak-willed. Go as fast as you want, wherever you want. Do eeeet!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Speed signs are optional. They're guidelines for the weak-willed. Go as fast as you want, wherever you want. Do eeeet!
    If this is drumming up business, where's the link to download your professional card ?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I like Proposal 7! It seems speed limits continue to be reduced despite my understanding that this process was put on hold at the end of last year.

SH25A in Coromandel has gone from a temporary 80 limit over summer to a blanket 80.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Go on.
    Ride fast. Take risks.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Just a few tips people.

To be successful in this process you need to write reasons or examples about how your life is impacted by the previous or proposed changes, don’t just say going slow sucks.

For example on number 7 talk about the negative impacts on your work life balance longer journey times is creating. Fatigue from the journey taking longer etc
    Show how crash rates and death toll has not really changed.
    Not being in top gear means your vehicle is not operating at its maximum efficiency etc….
    Show examples of other similar countries with higher speed limits.

But above all contribute something even if you can only muster a few sentances, we need to outnumber the professional anti car/climate cult greenies that wlll be saying no very loudly.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Rastus your link said not working so try this

https://consult.transport.govt.nz/po...-consultation/
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    If this is drumming up business, where's the link to download your professional card ?
    not my area of expertise... but let me refer you to my colleague:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCS.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	354767  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Just a few tips people.

To be successful in this process you need to write reasons or examples about how your life is impacted by the previous or proposed changes, don’t just say going slow sucks.

For example on number 7 talk about the negative impacts on your work life balance longer journey times is creating. Fatigue from the journey taking longer etc.
    I think you are pissing up the wall re Proposal 7. It was the Councils that decided to take the 30km/h speed limits way past the school area and cover larger urban areas so they aren't going to backtrack on that. Dunedin is a good example as they jumped in with both feet on that particular aspect of the Rule. The only way those speed limits will change is if there has been a change in council staff.

Rural road speed limit reversals in Proposal 7 are confined to state highways. A lot of NZTA areas simply never got round to lowering them for fear of a public backlash so no change there. Where they did change the speed limits it is because that is where they have the people who bought into the previous speed limit regime and I can't see them changing their views. For councils that did do a blanket drop of the 100km/h limit to 80 like Invercargill there is no requirement to move them back up to 100. With the cost of replacing all the signs once again that won't happen.

Looks good on paper, pretty meaningless in reality.

I don't know why nobody took up my idea of getting rid of all the 100km/h signs and putting the derestricted signs back up. Then each new Minister of Transport could decide what the sign meant and at one fell swoop the open road speed limit nationwide could be 60, 80, 100 or whatever said suit feels like it should be. Or 200km/h for me and F5 Dave.

But above all contribute something even if you can only muster a few sentances.
    And always run a quick spell check before submitting it.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    200! Go for Coma.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I think you are pissing up the wall re Proposal 7. It was the Councils that decided to take the 30km/h speed limits way past the school area and cover larger urban areas so they aren't going to backtrack on that. Dunedin is a good example as they jumped in with both feet on that particular aspect of the Rule. The only way those speed limits will change is if there has been a change in council staff.

Rural road speed limit reversals in Proposal 7 are confined to state highways. A lot of NZTA areas simply never got round to lowering them for fear of a public backlash so no change there. Where they did change the speed limits it is because that is where they have the people who bought into the previous speed limit regime and I can't see them changing their views. For councils that did do a blanket drop of the 100km/h limit to 80 like Invercargill there is no requirement to move them back up to 100. With the cost of replacing all the signs once again that won't happen.

Looks good on paper, pretty meaningless in reality.

I don't know why nobody took up my idea of getting rid of all the 100km/h signs and putting the derestricted signs back up. Then each new Minister of Transport could decide what the sign meant and at one fell swoop the open road speed limit nationwide could be 60, 80, 100 or whatever said suit feels like it should be. Or 200km/h for me and F5 Dave.

And always run a quick spell check before submitting it.
    It's very easy to change back to the 100 limit. Remove all of the 80 (and 60) signs, then replace the sign where the limit changes to 100. Only one new sign required and there will be plenty of volunteers to remove the 80 signs!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Velcro?

Thread Information