Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Setting Of Speed Limits - Consultation

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Good info Berries. It all comes back to the basics of being aware of what’s around you and planning for the worst. And a bit of lateral thinking is needed but sadly that only comes with age.
    Eg when your younger man this hopeless loser up front is slow gotta get past him asap.
    Now you think why is that road user going slow or inconsistent pace, what weird crap is he about to pull that could mess my day up bad. Have we just passed and orchard/shop/junction he may have missed his turn?
    You have to wonder how many of those under 70s jobs are where a biker has used max acceleration in a cluttered urban environment that a frustrated car driver trying to get a gap for a turn just doesn’t comprehend.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Berries, thanks for the info. Good to know that U-turns are not a significant cause of car v. motorbike accidents.

Bike
    R1200GSA

Looks like you all got your wishes.

Looks like speed limits are on the way up.

Now, look around you and choose which of your family or friends you are okay to lose in a road crash.

Because the numbers are gonna go up.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Now, look around you and choose which of your family or friends you are okay to lose in a road crash.

so speed and alcohol blah blah blah

when the fuck are the police going to actually police the roads on any offences other than speed and alcohol. The standard of driving is pretty retarded out there. and yet what is being done about it?

Bike
    It was on the good
    I'm not ok to lose any of my family in a crash so I tell them two things, drive to the actual conditions in front of you and treat everyone else as an idiot. An arbitrary speed limit based on 1960's vehicles and thinking does not even come into it. It is inappropriate speed that kills, not failure to comply with a road sign.

To me the problem seems to be that we don't actually tell new drivers what is inappropriate, we just point at a sign and send them on their way. Perhaps if we shifted all these resources away from speed for a short time and concentrated on some of the actual crash causing facets of driving we would see some improvements in the road toll. But hey, I'm a dreamer.

Seeing as you are being emotive though, can I choose my neighbour? He's a prick.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Not if you live the the Far North where the council is pushing ahead with lower limits:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/far-no...FJV77B4N2RVVY/

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Has the new rule been finalised already?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

To me the problem seems to be that we don't actually tell new drivers what is inappropriate, we just point at a sign and send them on their way. Perhaps if we shifted all these resources away from speed for a short time and concentrated on some of the actual crash causing facets of driving we would see some improvements in the road toll. But hey, I'm a dreamer.
    when was the last time anyone saw a sign re phone use while driving? The problem is rife.

How hard would it be to put the odd sign on a traffic light, e all stop at them, i'm sure it would go some way to influencing a percentage of those who seemed to have forgotten the law.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Has the new rule been finalised already?

Not yet, but it's going to be in line with the Ministerial directives. We could have guessed that from the wording of the consultation.

Ironically, the new govt has protested about blanket speed limits, and then said that 100 and 50 everywhere is what they expect. That's a blanket straight from the 50's right there.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Not yet, but it's going to be in line with the Ministerial directives. We could have guessed that from the wording of the consultation.

Ironically, the new govt has protested about blanket speed limits, and then said that 100 and 50 everywhere is what they expect. That's a blanket straight from the 50's right there.
    I wasn't around that long ago, but remember the LSZ - Limited Speed Zone - from when I started driving in the 70's. Not a silly idea, but no one seemed to know when to slow down and by how much!

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    when was the last time anyone saw a sign re phone use while driving?
    Signs are recognised as having very little influence on behaviour. Especially behaviour that everyone already knows is against the rules.

The few studies that have been done have not shown signage as having any strong effect on changing driver behaviour.

In fact, many experts believe that the main purpose of traffic warning signs is not to reduce accidents but to provide liability protection for the agency that posts them.

Bike
    It was on the good
    In fact, many experts believe that the main purpose of traffic warning signs is not to reduce accidents but to provide liability protection for the agency that posts them.
    I have never understood why we put advisory speeds on curves. In some conditions the advisory speed is way too fast for the corner, in other conditions way too conservative. And then two people will come up with a different advisory speed for the same corner given the neolithic way they are calculated. Then a crash will get the RCA reducing the advisory speed by 10km/h just to be on the safe side.

Would be better off with just the top sign if it was actually representative of the curve alignment and then hand things over to Darwin.

Bike
    suzuki
    Signs are recognised as having very little influence on behaviour..
    very little, one life saved to certain people is not very little. A simple sign on a few traffic lights advising cell phones are not allowed to be used while your engine is running would be read by many, and if nothing else kids in the car will be able to read them out to their drivers.
    That 'very little' is still something is it not?

Thread Information