Thread: 22mm axle

Bike
    2001 zx9

22mm axle

presently on the lookout for a 22mm axle around 285/290 long... i see some motocross bikes have them but surely not 290 long. its for a track bike- the swing arm is made for a 20mm axle but apart from being puny the slots are quite loose (maybe 20.4 or so) . 25 is real tempting but that'll reduce valuable clamping land area. 22mm will be a good solution... i could make one but if they are available oem that would be easier/cheaper/better? any thoughts?

Bike
    Exercycle
    In the old days you'd go to a wrecker and go through their crate of axles...

Are stepped spacers an option ?

Bike
    2001 zx9
    The wheel previously had a 25mm axle so i'll be making some hard anodised stepped spacers (one under the cush drive and left bearing, another under the right bearing and shouldered against the caliper hanger) . the easy way out would be to ignore the clearance in the swingarm slots but i'm keen to keep it all strong and good fitting. i suspect a good axle would be heat treated to a "half hard " state hence the anticipated cost of making one being 2 or 3 hundred.

Bike
    Exercycle
    the only axle I've made from scratch was 20mm. Turned from a broken HQ Holden half-shaft.
    Never even considered hardening it.

When asked we said it was made from HQ quality steel. Blank looks all round.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jato View Post
    presently on the lookout for a 22mm axle around 285/290 long... i see some motocross bikes have them but surely not 290 long. its for a track bike- the swing arm is made for a 20mm axle but apart from being puny the slots are quite loose (maybe 20.4 or so) . 25 is real tempting but that'll reduce valuable clamping land area. 22mm will be a good solution... i could make one but if they are available oem that would be easier/cheaper/better? any thoughts?
    this is a early ish YZ f one as you say not long enough

I would look at something like a CBR400r or NSR250r they were 22 and should be wide enough.
    if you ask nicely simon at Good parts will look for you and confirm sizes.
    https://nzbikeparts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2001 zx9
    Cheers Husa , i'll send an email just in case... if no luck i reckon a 25 will work good if i make up some new sliders so we can get a good clamp on each end

Thread Information