Thread: Unsafe road surfaces

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Unsafe road surfaces

Not sure if this FB link will work? Please read if you ride on rural roads in the Auckland region.

There are a number of roads I simply no longer ride, especially in winter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/auck...40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

Here is the text if the link doesn't work.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Was out this morning zipping over the Pahiatua Track.....dodgy at the best of times but this morning in the wet it was even more so !!

Heavily rutted and patched, makes it harder to pick a nice line thru corners. The wet means you have to be smooth the whole time..
    Thank heavens for the Michelin Road 6's !!!!!!!!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Was out this morning zipping over the Pahiatua Track.....dodgy at the best of times but this morning in the wet it was even more so !!

Heavily rutted and patched, makes it harder to pick a nice line thru corners. The wet means you have to be smooth the whole time..
    Thank heavens for the Michelin Road 6's !!!!!!!!!
    Yes, aren't they great at this time of year. I had to replace the Road 5's in April after a puncture on the rear, and the Road 6 is even better.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't in Auckland, but further south, wrote off an R1250GSA last year like that. Coming towards a corner, relaxed as, no panic braking, had barely entered the corner... and then I feel a slight movement in the bars and I was sliding, lost all front end grip just like that.

Only when I walked back and the boots were squeaking on the road surface I realised it wasn't as good as it had appeared. Does your confidence a solid number too...

A few days ago near Alfriston I saw a dump truck bounce into the air thanks to an uneven section, my first reaction was, WTF was THAT and WTF am I about to hit, then served through the undulations

Don't worry tho, the greens don't think money needs to be spent on roads...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    That guy gets lot of support on trucking pages.

We had someone similar here nek minit Napier-Taupo Rd turned into 80k.

And it was same on that bad stretch of road near atiamuri that killed several people they just put up speed restrictions at took ages to fix it.

So it’s a double edged sword. We could all complain and end up with heaps of temporary speectestrictions or just read road ahead and ride accordingly…

There’s just not enough industry capacity to fix everything that needs fixing even if the govt wrote a blank cheque tommorow.a lot of my favourite roads are getting fixed at moment but dealing with that many roadwork sites is painful. Honestly I think I’d rather just go slower in the bad spots.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    That guy gets lot of support on trucking pages.

We had someone similar here nek minit Napier-Taupo Rd turned into 80k.

And it was same on that bad stretch of road near atiamuri that killed several people they just put up speed restrictions at took ages to fix it.

So it’s a double edged sword. We could all complain and end up with heaps of temporary speectestrictions or just read road ahead and ride accordingly…

There’s just not enough industry capacity to fix everything that needs fixing even if the govt wrote a blank cheque tommorow.a lot of my favourite roads are getting fixed at moment but dealing with that many roadwork sites is painful. Honestly I think I’d rather just go slower in the bad spots.

Of course, nothing to do with the increased axle loadings that are now allowed, coupled with the increased number of trucks on the road due to govt policies of running down rail. Since the double tracking of the rail between Upper Hutt and Trentham, with the subsequent ability of fitting the additional log trains from the Wairarapa around the suburban commuter trains it will be more than likely that the road surface of the Remutaka hill road remains intact for longer. The suburban line passes right behind my house so by my count each log train takes about 20 trucks off the road, and there are usually three trains daily, more in the weekend
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information