Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very interesting video on body armour

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Very interesting video on body armour

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I didn't think it was interesting as such, putting my cynical hat on I felt it was more about audience engagement to keep the algorithm fed. I'll keep wearing my armour.

Here's a good response video from people in the know.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've done a bit of testing on the track (you dont race near 30 years without being delivered to the earth at lots of angles) and can say anecdotally, that the more and better armour I've used as time went on, made crashing more comfortable.

Yes would agree about clickbait controversy. I do like his production. But his conclusions are often for shock and he's made some mistakes over the years. (Check out various debunks of his 270degree crank show for instance.

His cynicism over minimum standards vs cost are possibly worthy.

Make sure your armour is thick and from reputable brand. Then that it is fitted to something sturdy that won't just roll it out of the way in a violent crash like many textiles likely will .
    And this alone may alter statistics.

Sometimes ground impact is a gentle slide. Sometimes it's, well, violent.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I will have a look at the references before making any comments, except to note that the people who crash and are uninjured don't generally make it into the statistics.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I have watched that and if comfort is the argument then answer is "buy better gear" not "you'll be fine. I was interested in the stats quoted and thought "I must do some more research into that" but haven't
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Armour is about more than impact resistance. It multiplies abrasion resistance too.

Your Draggin jeans are great at abrasion, but are even better at abrasion with armour.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Gear is already a compromise anyway between comfort and protection (and affordability).

Having said that, I choose not to remove it from my (cheap) gear. But I don't think I ever thought it'd do much to stop me breaking something.

Hmmm, that airbag backpack is available locally for $1500 or so...you wouldn't want to leave it at the counter in a shop.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Blog Entries
    My Apinestars vest covers upper shoulders as well and was like $1300 at the time. Not for everyone in justified expenditure, but I've spent enough time sleeping in chairs to justify it, and that's landing on racetracks not curbs or cars.

Hopefully they'll bring out a practicable one for trail use. Getting closer.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I have watched that and if comfort is the argument then answer is "buy better gear" not "you'll be fine. I was interested in the stats quoted and thought "I must do some more research into that" but haven't
    Of course, armour is no use if you don't land on it when you crash. One of my jackets has pockets in the lining for the armour which allow the shoulder pads to move so far that they do not cover the shoulders Whereas the Italian branded jacket has the armour fixed in place under plastic shoulder caps.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I think some of the (more expensive) manufacturers like Aerostich have much bigger armour pads, which would make a lot more sense, since I imagine that it will almost always move (especially in textile suits) in a crash.

Hence his point that the industry at large is working to the minimum standards possible.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    For many brands, it's the armour that's CE rated, very few have the garment rated to a CE level (the likes of Rukka do).

Having errm, bounced... a few times, no thanks, I've had some reasonable knocks and slides, and the mechanism of having a meeting with the ground can vary wildly - I've known people to come off the back of a bike doing a wheelie at 200kph and slide to a stop, while someone else tumbles into the field at 70kph and breaks multiple bones.

I've been wearing my Knox back and chest protector combo for probably a decade and a half. There has been several instances of going down, and walking away from the incident, no police/ambo in attendance (to reference no stats on no injury since no assistance is required).

The way I see it, if you're lying broken in a ditch, and someone walks up and says, $5k and you can get up and walk away? Would you take the deal? Well, wear that gear, I've often been wearing $5k+ of gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    My Apinestars vest covers upper shoulders as well and was like $1300 at the time. Not for everyone in justified expenditure, but I've spent enough time sleeping in chairs to justify it, and that's landing on racetracks not curbs or cars.

Hopefully they'll bring out a practicable one for trail use. Getting closer.
    Here you go:

https://www.alpinestars.com/products...ff-road-system

I reckon its the complete upper body system because it has the elbow pads as well. I am still dithering about it but it seems like a good solution. (it has a street mode for ADV use). Hell they use it in offroad rally races.

so yeah, current thinking.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. Thanks for posting, that wasn't available with an Enduro mode last time I looked. By the time I can hopefully dirtbike ride again there should be enough proper reviews.

Rally is comparatively simple, Enduro environment is more complex. You don't want to abort a hill climb jump off and set it off. But that's another story. Glad to see owner gas canisters. Have to see what they are worth each.

Did a Otaki ride few years back. Started to drizzle. Heck we'll get one more lap in before it gets proper wet. Easy through the grass, a little water makes it frictionless. Down a hill still a bit grassy. Front wheel goes, rear in mini rut.

Boof.

Winded, tries shoulder. Hooray! Collarbone not broken (2 times previously that side). Ooh. Despite Leatt full kit I think my elbow has driven into my ribs. 5 broken (again) . Cue very uncomfortable ride tiptoe down steep trail to a road.

Ring ring. Hi dear, the lads will be dropping me back in a while, but I might need help to get in the shower. .
    More time sleeping in a chair -couldn't lie down.
    Yes dear. Oddly this is what we do for fun.

And yes if someone had said, pay xx amount and you can walk away. . . I had plenty of time in the chair to ponder that hypothetical question.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Yep. I fell off my mountainbike now 7 weeks ago, and tonight at pilates was the first time since that I have had full range of motion and no pain doing anything involving front lying or side lying (on the right). "All" I did was bruise the intercostal (sp?) muscles between my ribs - no breaks or cracks but fucking sore and take ages to come right. I have bought a set of Leatt body armour for next summer. I feel like such a poseur now because my mountainbike gear involves knee and elbow pads, a fullface helmet and now body armour. And I am an elderly muppet wobbler. Who can't afford to have six weeks off work healing fractures......

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    . Easy through the grass, a little water makes it frictionless. Down a hill still a bit grassy. Front wheel goes, rear in mini rut.

Boof.

Winded, tries shoulder. Hooray! Collarbone not broken (2 times previously that side). Ooh. Despite Leatt full kit I think my elbow has driven into my ribs. 5 broken (again) . Cue very uncomfortable ride tiptoe down steep trail to a road.
    That scenario is what put me in my ICU and on a ventilator and some titanium bits holding my ribcage together in 2018, wearing full armour but ribcage severely damaged due to the arm being driven into my side

I've actually just been looking at Leatt 6.5 as it has flank protection
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information