Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: winter sun woe

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory

winter sun woe

hi all, just back from a short ride but the sun at this time of year is truly awful. i think i may be a little bit more sensitive to this because of my 75 year old eyes that have had cataracts fixed and then both retinas detached (thank you sean). to cap it off i have to wear glasses since my 75th a month ago.

i bought an adventure type helmet with a peak. this helps quite a bit for some sun angles. the problem is in the corner of the eye. sunglasses don't seem to help unless there are some fancy ones that solve all the problems, i think there probably are, they'd have to have a prescription.

I'd really like some advice on which way to go on this.

Cheers

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    A strip of tape across the top of the face shield, bit like a car sunvisor can help. I dont like tinted shlelds because they make everything dark. I have also worn tinted safety wrap around glasses over the top of my regular glasses. Have tried many thing for this problem as coming back from the Brass Monkeys saw a lot of sun strike
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R100GSPD
    for sunglasses can only suggest a swing down shade. Glasses will always be a problem in sunstrike,another potentially smeary surface. On a 4wd trip the other day the sunstrike/slighly smeary screen was horrendous

Bike
    It was on the good
    Move to Auckland.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Move to Auckland.
    that's like fucking a goat and two dwarves in an elevator, it's wrong on every level....

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I use a light tinted visor, Light Smoke in Shoei speak. It takes the edge off the sun but I can still see the road. I also make sure my glasses and visor are clean.

It is partly an age thing, as it is definitely more difficult now than back in my youth.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My black tinted visor (because I'm a rebel and like to buck the trend), has two velcro patches at the top sides just out of veiw.

I always carry a mx google strap. This has two fluffy velcro bits sewn at either end. Mx goggle straps often have rubber straps impregnated along them to stop them sliding.

In a simple procedure I can fit the strap much like tape at the top of a helmet but removable.
    You can adjust it so it is aggressively down blocking the sun completely. But not the road. Anything else is a compromise.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Sold
    I had a similar problem and have tried both tinted and mirror visors. I found the mirror visor better for me as it works partially on reflection as opposed to blocking light. This meant that it wasn't so dark as a tinted visor and I could ride later into the day. Sunstrike off the Firth of Thames was atrocious and specs plus eye surgery made it worse. Incidentally, I bought a cheap gold mirror visor for my Shoei GT and it was a great purchase. Excellent fit and resisted scratching really well. A worthwhile experiment.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    My black tinted visor (because I'm a rebel and like to buck the trend), has two velcro patches at the top sides just out of veiw.

I always carry a mx google strap. This has two fluffy velcro bits sewn at either end. Mx goggle straps often have rubber straps impregnated along them to stop them sliding.

In a simple procedure I can fit the strap much like tape at the top of a helmet but removable.
    You can adjust it so it is aggressively down blocking the sun completely. But not the road. Anything else is a compromise.
    I like it!

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    old eyes are a hinderance for sure. i'll try some of your suggestions.

thanks.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Wife and I both have had photochromatic lenses on our Bells for the last 2 helmets, not to dark and lightens up when needed, there is no compromise required when you do this.
    Put simply, they work.
    Bloody well.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Wife and I both have had photochromatic lenses on our Bells for the last 2 helmets, not to dark and lightens up when needed, there is no compromise required when you do this.
    Put simply, they work.
    Bloody well.
    I've just ordered one for the Shoei after a very unpleasant experience riding through the hills from Maramarua to Bombay at the weekend.

They generally have very good reviews, thanks for your comments .

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Put simply, they work.
    Bloody well.
    I didnt even know that was a thing!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I didnt even know that was a thing!
    You are entirely welcome.
    They used to be a bit dodgy, took a while to change, didn't always darken enough, but since about 2010, they've got em right, not to expensive either, saves the hassle of glasses or another visor.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Because I have old eyes that are a bit fucked, I don't use sunglasses at all ! Just Specs.

In winter esspecially, I run two strips of tape on the upper edge of the Shoei.
    It works for me, a slight tilt of the head if sun appears and I'm good.(but thats not often ).
    Looks a bit F1'ish but hey !

I need all the advantage I can get, to see gravel or shit/damp on the road surface.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Thread Information