Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: winter sun woe

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Good call on the last point.

I had a big black one come up and sniff me when I was walking home from school in the fog. I heard something. Turned around. Face to face with a Labrador. I Turned and ran as fast as my little schoolboy legs would take me and didn't look back.

It's OK David. He can't hurt you now. Deep breath. He can't hurt you now.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I adjust ride times and plan to avoid it. Stop somewhere for feed or beer and ride in dark instead bonus being lot of traffic gone too.
    Try doing fav loop in opposite direction.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Yes, doing the Coromandel loop from Auckland in winter can be problematic because of sunstrike returning from Thames to Auckland. The drawback to waiting for the sun to go down is how quickly it gets cold.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    On a tangent, with the sun being so low in the sky, it's the perfect time for people to pull out of intersections in front of us, and having sun strike to blame.

If it's hard for us to see, it's even harder for people to see us.

Whether they should or not is moot. They won't. Being aware of sun strike and how it impacts drivers view of us is a key riding skill.

If you can see your own shadow on the road ahead of you, watch out for people pulling out of side roads ahead of you too.

For other riding tips likely to put the fear of dog into you.
    should we be riding with our headlights on high beam when the sun is at low angles?? I do not normally use high beam as a default daytime setting

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    should we be riding with our headlights on high beam when the sun is at low angles?? I do not normally use high beam as a default daytime setting
    Anybody who rides with high beam day or night when there is oncoming traffic should be shot. In my humble opinion.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Anybody who rides with high beam day or night when there is oncoming traffic should be shot. In my humble opinion.
    I agree wholeheartedly. But is it a strategy to counter invisiblty cos of sunstrike(and only sunstrike.)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    By adding Lightstrike?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Chuckle.

Back when I was in a blue suit on a troll bike I found a young woman on an SV650 on the Motukarara Straights with her headlight on hi beam.

Having stopped her with red and blues, I walked up to her and said "We have had a call from the International Space Station, can we get that bike headlight turned down please".

Followed a rant about how nobody had ever pulled out in front of her when she had hi beam on, contrasted to regular failed to give way situations when she used low beam.

Kind of felt sympathetic with her point, but her light was bizarre bright and dazzling, so had to be switched down.

The relevant legislation

Use of motor vehicle lighting equipment on road
    (1) A person must not use vehicle lighting equipment in such a way that it dazzles, confuses, or distracts so as to endanger the safety of other road users.
    (2) If a vehicle’s headlamps are in use, a driver must dip those headlamps—
    [INDENT](a)whenever they would be likely to interfere adversely with the vision of another driver in motion on a road; or

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Chuckle.

Back when I was in a blue suit on a troll bike I found a young woman on an SV650 on the Motukarara Straights with her headlight on hi beam.
    dazzling on coming vehicles is not very smart, yeah lets fuck up their ability to see everything including the road and see who wins

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. But is it a strategy to counter invisiblty cos of sunstrike(and only sunstrike.)
    If we are talking proper sunstrike then I don't think the headlight being on full beam would make any difference at all.

If the driver is squinting in your direction and your dash is in shadow then I would suggest you want to be covering the brakes and taking control of the situation, not praying that the driver reacts to headlights that may be just slightly overpowered by the sun.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Phasers set to STUN.

Thread Information