Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LPG vs natural gas supply to house

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I also have a rural friend who has the same arrangement witha 9kg cylinder. Should be legal enough, you can have portable gas heaters with bottle used in the house. OTOH he is not going to ask anyone in authority about it, either. likewise the somewhat dodgy three phase supply to the sheds. Typical electrician
    You have to laugh (although maybe not ??). This mate lives Pram, has several commercial buildings as well and is probably worth maybe 6 to 8 Million !!!!! fuck me , talk about tight !!!!!!!

This is funny or sad ? when I pop down to visit him he'll reheat a plunger coffee from the night before !

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    R100GSPD
    what is the comparison in price of gas vs lpg. I suspect the comparison will be static as lpg is produced from natural gas. So the only difference in the long term will be supply charges vs bottle rental. Are they similar now?
    I guess supply charges will trend up as the number of natural gas users go down.Then one day it will be no more. And the lpg will be imported.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Supply charges are more than cylinder rental.

Anyway, despite the government trying to turn back the clock, using gas as energy source in homes will need to decrease over the next decade, and this has already started. How many apartments have gas?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Seems no-one wants to make it easy to find the informaton. As far as I can tell, there is no bottle rental as such (45kg) but it is about $150 per fill and no doubt there is a rental built into that, plus there is an annual "service charge" . My current connection charge is variable but around $30 / month so approx $360 per year. The past 12 months gas bill in total (incl supply charge and any other fees thrown in) was $745, so if a single 45kg bottle lasted more than 2-1/2 months I should be ahead or at least breaking even - other than the conversion charges. will investigate further, thanks all for the comments
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Seems no-one wants to make it easy to find the informaton. As far as I can tell, there is no bottle rental as such (45kg) but it is about $150 per fill and no doubt there is a rental built into that, plus there is an annual "service charge" . My current connection charge is variable but around $30 / month so approx $360 per year. The past 12 months gas bill in total (incl supply charge and any other fees thrown in) was $745, so if a single 45kg bottle lasted more than 2-1/2 months I should be ahead or at least breaking even - other than the conversion charges. will investigate further, thanks all for the comments
    We have 2 x 45kg gas bottles that supply a space heater in one end of our house in addition to the 4.5kg bottle under the hob in the kitchen. The quote to extend the hardlines from the space heater install was enough to buy two induction hobs so I declined. We used to get billed for cylinder rental twice a year but as you say it is now built into their pricing. $150kg per bottle is right on the money. Its very expensive for space heating - we run through a 45kg a month in winter. In addition to our power bills doubling between, well now and end September-ish. A combination of "old house" and "I refuse to be cold". Fine while earning good money, less fine when retired.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The latest update (ie price increase) from our power/gas supplier is that the bottle swap cost is increasing to $150, rental per bottle is I think still $6 per month.

We only have gas for a cooktop and gas fire which is used intermittently when we don't want a breeze across the kitchen bench from the heat pump, with that usage we get through a couple of bottles a year.

When our HWC dies it will probably stay where it is in the roof space and get replaced by an outdoor mains pressure cylinder.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    raptor 1000
    House (1950s) was originally all electric, gas connected about 20 years ago when it was cheap, I'd thought of having the two gas cylinders out the front of the hose under the carport, next to the solar battery/controller cabinet. All the hot water connections (kitchen/bathroom/laundry) are around the back of the house. /Could put a heat pump HWC out there but they are expensive
    i have bottles on one side and the hot water machine on the other, works fine

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Ive averaged my gas useage KwHs of the past 12 months - 180KwH /month. Over 12 months I've consumed 2168 KwH. LPG has a Kg/KwH equivalent of 13.6KwH/Kg SO theoretically a 45 Kg cylinder is worth 612 KwH, so at about 6KwH /day, 45Kg should last me around 100 days. 3.5 cylinders a year, $500 odd compared to the $750 currently.

The origin of my thoughts about changing came from the solar electricity supplier suggesting we should go all-electric, but with the cost of replacing the exisiting gas/electric range with its equivalent electric only (close to $10,000) and the the cost of a heat pump HWC (another $5000 or more) it aint gonna happen.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information