Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: You pricks are costing us taxpayers too much money

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I reckon Japanese imports had more to do with it.
    Yep. Why buy a learner bike and go through a complicated, graduated, licencing process when you can just plonk down $5,000 on a turbo rocket ship that doubles as a motel room on wheels?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yep. Why buy a learner bike and go through a complicated, graduated, licencing process when you can just plonk down $5,000 on a turbo rocket ship that doubles as a motel room on wheels?
    Pretty much. Having a motorcycle as ones only form of transport sure thins the available herd of talent.

Mind you in my experience If they can't cope with being picked up for their first date on a motorcycle they aren't my type and I'm not theirs anyway.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    No there are far fewer motorbikes on the road today. The boom years were between the early 70s to 80s which was due to the fact you could buy a brand new bike for the same price as a car that was at the stage of needing a lot of repairs plus bikes were actually cheaper to register back then. There are also fewer bike shops around today which is due to the now price of cars no longer being so much higher than the cost of bikes back in the 70's & 80's.

I agree there were a lot of bikes in the 70s, but I still think they declined in the 80s-90s, cars seemed to be much more affordable, possibly imports, the baby boomers from the 50s were having families paying off homes etc and bikes were mostly forgotten, those baby boomers are now in the 50-60s age bracket and now have the time and often the coin to try and enjoy the last years.

I have not looked at actual statistics, but it seems from reading the morning newspaper on reported motorcycle accidents, there is an awful lot in that age bracket.

Bike
    I don't think there is one single reason why guys have mid life crisis's as another poster said it was due to them not having that many years left. Sounds like you made a mistake having a wife and kids to blame them for your mid life crisis. I test rode a Harley 10 years ago being in the MLC age group. It did nothing for me but I have never stopped riding either. Having said that though after seeing some of the latest Indian bikes I am curious but I may find just having a test ride of one satisfying enough like I did with the Harley.
    if you get the chance, test ride the Fat Bob, they have changed a bit. The first Fat Bob was introduced into the Dyna range in 2008 so its a couple of years after your last test ride.

Bike
    Yes I was keen to demo a Fat Bob and V Rod but after seeing the latest Indians will get a ride of one of them first. I noticed in the dealership in ChCh nearly all their trade ins were Harley so there must be something better about them than Harleys. I am keen to demo the latest Diavel too which now has a seating position like a Harley or Indian.

Maybe for many a change is as good as a holiday, The name Indian may have something to do with it? I looked at victory a while ago, didn't fit me which I think HD probably gives buyers with lots of options to get it right, the exhaust/engine sounds just didn't seem the same as HDs, funny how that could influence me.

Dukes, well what can you say, a whole different looking/performing motorcycle. Seeing your a Honda man, thought you might like these pics of my old sidecar from 1980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy (2) of 424341_3342487007159_1418237371_3535166_552805985_n[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	322455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy (2) of 409520_3342486487146_1418237371_3535165_1827118356_n[1].jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	322456

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I got my first bike in the early 70s. Got my bike licence when I turned 15, got a bike (Puch scooter) two days later. If you wanted to be independently mobile and your parents weren't the 70s equivalent of rich listers, back then there was no way we could afford cars. Six months later, an RV90. Two years after that, an RV125. Three years after that, GT380. Two years after that, GT750... Then through an assortment of road bikes and Honda and Suzi 'scramblers' (remember then?) before a Kwaka 900, then an 1100, then married, then overseas.

Came back to NZ in 2011 with two Harleys (an '02 and an '04) - so yes, I am literally a rider returning, but I'm not a returning rider. There is a significant (to me, if not to ACC) difference.

While overseas I rode all manner of available bikes, usually of a low cc rating and mostly Japanese * (*although in the Trashcanistans, always a Ural).

Most reliable bike to buy in hurry sight unseen - a Honda Super Cub, in Vietnam and Thailand. Best bang for the buck - a Royal Enfield in Kashmir. Safest bet in the former USSR - a Ural. In West Africa - any Honda with a 125 engine. In South Africa - a low-mileage BMW GS from a fleeing tourist cutting their trip short. Most expensive bang for the buck; a (used, mucho-chromed) '04 Vrod in Singapore. Best value bang for the buck - a low-mileage (43-only-kms!!) '02 Dyna in Singapore as no-one wanted it, they were all hanging out for an '03 Anniversary model. Got that Dyna literally for half new sticker price. Still got it.

When you can't blend in (due to size and skin color) in an insecure location, my advice is don't look too prosperous. One easy way I found to not look too prosperous and still have fun is in a country where both expatriates and the local elite drive around in cars; buy a local motorcycle and ride with the commuting pack. Generally, in my experience foreign ferals figure that if you can't afford a car or a Harley they're wasting their time extorting you.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    I got my first bike in the early 70s. Got my bike licence when I turned 15, got a bike (Puch scooter) two days later. If you wanted to be independently mobile and your parents weren't the 70s equivalent of rich listers, back then there was no way we could afford cars. Six months later, an RV90. Two years after that, an RV125. Three years after that, GT380. Two years after that, GT750... Then through an assortment of road bikes and Honda and Suzi 'scramblers' (remember then?) before a Kwaka 900, then an 1100, then married, then overseas.

Came back to NZ in 2011 with two Harleys (an '02 and an '04) - so yes, I am literally a rider returning, but I'm not a returning rider. There is a significant (to me, if not to ACC) difference.

While overseas I rode all manner of available bikes, usually of a low cc rating and mostly Japanese * (*although in the Trashcanistans, always a Ural).

Most reliable bike to buy in hurry sight unseen - a Honda Super Cub, in Vietnam and Thailand. Best bang for the buck - a Royal Enfield in Kashmir. Safest bet in the former USSR - a Ural. In West Africa - any Honda with a 125 engine. In South Africa - a low-mileage BMW GS from a fleeing tourist cutting their trip short. Most expensive bang for the buck; a (used, mucho-chromed) '04 Vrod in Singapore. Best value bang for the buck - a low-mileage (43-only-kms!!) '02 Dyna in Singapore as no-one wanted it, they were all hanging out for an '03 Anniversary model. Got that Dyna literally for half new sticker price. Still got it.

When you can't blend in (due to size and skin color) in an insecure location, my advice is don't look too prosperous. One easy way I found to not look too prosperous and still have fun is in a country where both expatriates and the local elite drive around in cars; buy a local motorcycle and ride with the commuting pack. Generally, in my experience foreign ferals figure that if you can't afford a car or a Harley they're wasting their time extorting you.

very insightful post, some valuable information to lock away for future use.

Yes I remember when the trail bikes became popular as our day to day rides, 3 mates and I all went into Colemans (I had worked there after 2ndary school, my Mum still did) traded in our 250 hustlers etc and my 200 Suzuki I purchased a new Suzuki TS 250 in 1973 had a heap of fun apart from taking the girlfriend I later married on a return trip from Wanganui to Wellington on it, wish I had kept the Suzuki, the Honda 400 four came later and sold to my Brother, memory getting tired with age.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I so wish I had kept the TS185... I swear the power-to-weight on that was magic. But, maybe seemed that way 'cuz I was still thin then :-)

Anyone remember the Honda ad...

And if you don't know what it's like to take your Honda some place
    In your own lane
    With the wind in your face..."

The third line accompanied a slo-mo of a guy doing a major jump and in mid-air revving it up and putting out a 2-stroke smoke-trail.

I tried to imitate that often. Failed, epically (well, probably not epically, actually...)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post

An ex workmate told me similar. He rode a DR Big from the UK to South Africa back in the day. He was told in no uncertain terms that he was risking his life traveling through a number of African countries. He survived to tell the tale and reckoned most of the potential bandits, militia, crims, etc thought he was poor and probably crazy. They targeted tourists in 4wd's.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    edit due to wrong thread.
    Last edited by old slider; 21st June 2016 at 17:10. Reason: wrong thread.

Bike
    CB1300
    Maybe there is something to the mlc. I have never wanted an HD or other imperial cruiser before.

For some reason since my last birthday I have been lusting after custom cruisers. Luckily I lack the bank to have a proper meltdown so I can only I'm not half way yet.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Maybe there is something to the mlc. I have never wanted an HD or other imperial cruiser before.

For some reason since my last birthday I have been lusting after custom cruisers. Luckily I lack the bank to have a proper meltdown so I can only I'm not half way yet.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Must be that magic age? somewhere between 45 and 80, lol There are plenty of nice cruisers around for about a third of the cost of those wonderful monarchial machines.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Must be that magic age? somewhere between 45 and 80, lol There are plenty of nice cruisers around for about a third of the cost of those wonderful monarchial machines.
    Not yet 45.
    At 40 I still loved my Haysbusa but sold it to buy a more practical CB1300.
    At 41 I suddenly wanted a big adventure bike.
    At 42 I had a hankering for a litre plus café racer.
    At 42 and a half I now also find myself curious about a large metric cruiser.

Not crossed over yet. But at 40 I'm not sure I would have bought a cruiser... even if it was a steal.
    2.5 years later I want to try one.

I guess you could say I am becoming more and now bike curious.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Thread Information