Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning from accidents

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    But learning from others fatal mistakes could be of great benefit.

I hope that a bad or fatal mistake of mine would be discussed in great detail, I'm sure all could learn from it. Any family or friends offended or upset by the analysis obviously don't know enough about me to care.
    Same here.

If analysing my mistakes makes people think twice before doing stupid things, then it was worth discussing it. My immediate family would think the same and who cares about the rest.

Aside of that, if my stupidity makes me crash than I don't deserve anything else. (Exceptions are planes falling out of the sky and landing on my bike, and spiders. I can't be held responsible for these kinds of higher powers.)
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    You don't even have to wait for an accident to happen in order to learn the likely outcome from certain driving/riding behaviour.
    That's true. However, there is quite a bit of a difference between the theory and actually "seeing" what can happen.

It's a bit like smoking. Everybody knows you can get cancer from it, but you may not stop smoking until someone you know actually gets lung cancer.

I've seen people, who I think are fairly intelligent, ride at 100 km/h at a distance of less then 2 m behind a car to overtake as soon as it's clear. At that speed they won't even be able to react if something happens, not to mention be able to brake or swerve. They may be aware of that, in theory, but at that time it is not at the forefront of their minds. Everybody reading rocketman's post above may think twice about a move like that in the future. The actual cause of the accident may differ, but the scenario and the result are the same.
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
    It's a bit like smoking. Everybody knows you can get cancer from it, but you may not stop smoking until someone you know actually gets lung cancer.
    more like burning diesel, the exhaust being a known carcinogen. Tobacco (natural), innt.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    more like burning diesel, the exhaust being a known carcinogen. Tobacco (natural), innt.
    natural? so is arsenic. Smoke that.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    natural? so is arsenic. Smoke that.
    no the flavour is all off and it makes me dizzy.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    no the flavour is all off and it makes me dizzy.
    so you did try it then
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    What you have just said sums up so many posters on here who have a "she'll be right attitude" as they have the ability to read "Signs" from other drivers and they have never got them wrong in the past and never will in the future.
    The ability to read the signs on the road only increases the buffer; ie, rolling off the throttle and covering the brake when somebody may not have seen you. The inability or unwillingness to do one's best to be fully aware of the situation as they are riding in better characterises the 'she'll be right' attitude.

While the future is uncertain, those who do not learn from the past do tend to repeat it.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    But if you don't apply a degree of trust in other drivers you are not going to get from a to b in much of a hurry at all. You will all the time be slowing down in case the next sign could very well be a negative one. Just give up riding if you are unable to trust anyone else on the road.
    Some of us put our safety ahead of our ability to hurry from A to B.

Guess that is part of the reason some of us crash less than others.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    But if you don't apply a degree of trust in other drivers you are not going to get from a to b in much of a hurry at all. You will all the time be slowing down in case the next sign could very well be a negative one. Just give up riding if you are unable to trust anyone else on the road.
    I really do try very hard not to be part of the Cassina bashing brigade but.....

Your reluctance to try and gather any clues (or signs) of the intention of other road users is mind-numbingly stupid.

There are countless clues given by other road users that can be used to improve your safety and, contrary to what you seem to believe, they don't each take 30 seconds of concentration to identify and process.

You really should start using your brain a little more when you're riding - and relying less on trusting other road users to do as they're suppose to.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Not all cam owners are idiots but all idiots own cam recorders.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    But if everyone had your mind/clue reading ability sport there would be no accidents now would there? Just because you have that ability it does not mean everyone else has it too.
    Have you bred?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    less than I used to have
    But if everyone had your mind/clue reading ability sport there would be no accidents now would there? Just because you have that ability it does not mean everyone else has it too.

...laalallallallallalalalal...lalalalala...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    That's why, over the years, I've made such an effort to expound the benefits of exercising one's brain while riding.

You should try it.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Geez KM, STOP, please, encouraging this thing ( ignored by everyone else in this thread too) it is going to end in tears!
    Trust another road user? are you out of your fucking mind!
    Never.
    Look out for yourself, no wonder you keep crashing.

I have no problem with learning from other peoples mistakes.
    I have a very real problem with watching videos of actual people getting killed,maimed or otherwise hurt in crashes.
    There was a time when I used to watch the good old crash and burn videos. Until they started showing people getting killed.I stopped watching them after that. I for one have seen enough senseless death and destruction in my lifetime so far and yes it does desensitize those who do watch these sorts of things.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    It was on the good
    What you have just said sums up so many posters on here who have a "she'll be right attitude" as they have the ability to read "Signs" from other drivers and they have never got them wrong in the past and never will in the future.
    The 'she'll be right attitude' is the one where people rely on other road users to do the right thing and I would suggest that you are quite possibly a prime example. Highlighting the fact that you don't believe other road users give off signs, other than indicators, also suggests something but it would be waste of electrons trying to explain it to you and your closed mind.

Thread Information