Thread: Headphones

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125

Headphones

Can't find a site that explains this stuff good, so for some reason I came here.

Anyhu, want a set which is wireless, with charging station, circumaural. And the tricky part; I don't want to have to turn things on and off when using headphones/speakers like some sort pleb, when I put headphones on charge, noise comes from speakers; when I take them off charge (and put onto head) noise comes from headphones.

Suggestions?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Can't find a site that explains this stuff good, so for some reason I came here.

Anyhu, want a set which is wireless, with charging station Suggestions?
    Any further progress? I was thinking about a Bluetooth headset for use in the helmet, not for talking to another rider, just for GPS instructions and the odd bit of music if I need it.
    Along the lines of a hands free kit, just on all the time-adjustment via smartphone

Not thinking about communication between riders.

But I am thinking about communication with another vehicle who wont have a helmet and will be out of site 50% of the time then Bluetooth/Sena type of comms wont work
    its only an idea at present, more interested in what people have found with connecting a smart phone to their helmet

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Nah, this was about PC headphones, not bike ones (one of the best bits of riding is to get away from it all).

I ended up getting a cardiologist microphone which doesn't pick up the sound from the speakers, so I have no need for headphones here either
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Any further progress? I was thinking about a Bluetooth headset for use in the helmet, not for talking to another rider, just for GPS instructions and the odd bit of music if I need it.
    Along the lines of a hands free kit, just on all the time-adjustment via smartphone

Not thinking about communication between riders.

But I am thinking about communication with another vehicle who wont have a helmet and will be out of site 50% of the time then Bluetooth/Sena type of comms wont work
    its only an idea at present, more interested in what people have found with connecting a smart phone to their helmet
    Bluetooth units work just fine to mobile. I rate my BT interphone highly. Never tried the sena because of cost.
    I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me. Scaramoush Scaramoush....

I get calls a few times a month. Quality is good enough they don't know I'm riding while I either find somewhere to stop or ask them to call back.

Some non BT units can plug in to cb if that is what you want.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Sena does make a headset for non-helmet use that could be what you're after?

Retrofit headset: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...red-microphone
    Non-helmet headset: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...adset-intercom
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Thanks Big Dog & Gremlin

I think your both onto what I am looking for.

The CB/Radio is probably what I am after at present, most likely a Motorola unit sort of 5 Watt output

I need to look into this further as the range and reliability is important

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Big Dog & Gremlin

The CB/Radio is probably what I am after at present, most likely a Motorola unit sort of 5 Watt output

jaycar have el cheapo 5w uhf (200 odd) that have helmet kits, radios are quite punchy, dont know how good helmet kits is. Has fme connect antenna so can mount a +dB whip on the bike if youre that way inclined.

Also have a gme 5w, same features avail but twice the price. Slightly more solidly built, better battery life by 20% ish, but now made in china anyway, so......

Both take a while to warm up if driving my 4ft whip, but receiving range quadrouples.

Depending which way comms is more important, (watts is indicative of tx power) you may get away with smaller (cheaper) 3w units. Although most car mount are 5w anyway (max tx power legal) *but* most are de-tuned at factory so as to be well-legal when installed. Once you have your antenna setup you can then (usually, and usually also voiding warranty) wind up the tx power. Over driving will fuck your signal and smoke your set if you're using it heavily, but for normal usage is no problem.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    also for uber-range and zombie proofing, i have a couple of 26mhz handhelds (am cb) that run natively on 12v. Rare to find nowdays but garage sales or trademe might turn some up.

Either way Buy local as if you get aussie imports their freqs are a couple mhz higher and asides from being illegal in nz, is just gay.

You can also use vhf on land for even wukkeder range, but it's illegal.

Use motorolla vhfs for various land things (licensed) and they're baws. But expensive, but i dont pay for them. But they take more of a beating than i'd trust the jaycar ones to, or that ive given my gme.

Bike
    CB1300
    Thanks Big Dog & Gremlin

If you are just wanting to try something I have a spare speakers and boom set from my old BT unit and 4 spare Motorola handset l bought for a couple of events but was going to sell because I don't have a need any more. They also have vox headsets that may work under a helmet but the boom would be better. Works well from one side of MOTAT or the akl domain to the other but not fantastic in the city.
    If you wanted to use the boom set you would need an extension cable to go from the 2 pin port in the handset to the three pin plug on the boom.

Set to a quiet channel, sec on vox. you're away. On foot vox works well haven't tried from the saddle.

If you want to buy a purpose built setup with the thumb remote etc and don't want to take out a mortgage to finance it talk to Penfolds in Rotorua.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Assuming Penfolds is still in business.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Food for thought guys thanks.....

Yep prefer Motorola from way back

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    One thing I do remember from using regular walkie talkies (woah, that would have been 2008/9). It's important to get speakers placed correctly. Helmets now should have pockets for them, back then they didn't really (well, the expensive ones might have), crammed your ears into the helmet along with speakers and it hurt like hell after a few hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information