Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Regaining confidence after a fall

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Then only if you back it into the corner
    I farken wish. I can't even get the front wheel up more than a cm off the ground!
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    I farken wish. I can't even get the front wheel up more than a cm off the ground!

Your not alone, we have a wannabe wheelie household.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    It's late (for me) I don't get what you mean full lock further? And I don't fall, I just drop the bike and manage to land not so gracefully on my feet
    It's a dirt bike, the bars turn further than most road bikes, which makes GF's party trick slightly more difficult.

How do you manage the landing on your feet thing? And how can you run that fast?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    It's a dirt bike, the bars turn further than most road bikes, which makes GF's party trick slightly more difficult.

How do you manage the landing on your feet thing? And how can you run that fast?
    Easy when you're going zero ks an hour.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Multi choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Note I said a TIGHT bend. I have been riding for 37 years and have NEVER fallen off on a bend and should in theory be dead by your theory eh sport!!!!!
    Actually, Drew is quite right. Control over a motorcycle is ALL about the throttle, and it is entirely probable that you are slow enough everywhere that is not straight, to escape the consequences of such a retarded practise.

You are advocating a beginner learn to not control the bike? You may have ridden for a long time, but clearly know/understand little and have been lucky.

The OP has a lot to learn, and KB is clearly NOT the place to be doing that!
    Speed kills-just ask the rabbit......

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Meh, Buells come with automatic backing it in. The engine braking's so severe it just happens when you get off the gas and tip it in at anything over 3Krpm.

If you manage it on the DRZ without dabing the back brake then you'll know you're pretty close to the limit for corner entry speed. Whether you're on asphalt or dirt.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Take one well seasoned C90, add a beach...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Meh, Buells come with automatic backing it in. The engine braking's so severe it just happens when you get off the gas and tip it in at anything over 3Krpm.

If you manage it on the DRZ without dabing the back brake then you'll know you're pretty close to the limit for corner entry speed. Whether you're on asphalt or dirt.
    Hmmmmm.....

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Hmmm, found a new interest in this thread. I've seen wheelies done. Didn't look that hard.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

No slipper on the DRZ I don't think, but the motors are hardly high compression beasts. Stepping it out on corner entry with engine braking alone is not close to the limit Mark, it's looking back at the limit wistfuly my friend.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that's a horrible experience, but anyone riding for any decent period of time has had at least one off. Doing the riding course is a god idea.

The only thing that seems to really help with the confidence is riding time alas. You have to learn to trust your machine again.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    No slipper on the DRZ I don't think, but the motors are hardly high compression beasts. Stepping it out on corner entry with engine braking alone is not close to the limit Mark, it's looking back at the limit wistfuly my friend.
    You're right, they don't, they do have a reasonable quantity of engine braking though.

And on the 1125 I'd probably agree about the limit thing, but it had a slipper clutch. On the XBX it's fairly routine, I promise.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Yeah that's a horrible experience, but anyone riding for any decent period of time has had at least one off. Doing the riding course is a god idea.

The only thing that seems to really help with the confidence is riding time alas. You have to learn to trust your machine again.
    Thanks. Yes, I've ridden the ER6 three days in a row to work now (go me!) whereas before the course on the weekend I'd starting adopting excuses to do that (though there are quite a few valid excuses too). So I'm getting my confidence back on the ER6. Once we get the shorty levers for the Bandit I will be back on that. After all, I test-rode it and loved it without falling off so I just need to ride it with more respect and realise it doesn't go exactly like the ER6!

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shflbm View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I've ridden the ER6 three days in a row to work now (go me!)
    Good on you, it really is a matter of edging your way back into feeling confident again and the only way to do that is by riding.
    I've been riding for a while and am reasonably competent but had an accident a year or so ago on a right hand bend, when I got back on a bike it took me a day at a track to actually go around a right hand corner at a decent speed again, I was really shocked at how averse I was to pushing the bike into the corner, left hand was no problem but my brain was not keen on right handers! Don't underestimate the impact of falling off, it will take some time to feel really happy again on the bike. Baby steps are good!

Take the advice on training, if you have a spare day and a couple of hundred dollars get a mornings dirt bike training with Tony at Endless dirt biking, take your husband too, it's a great way to learn bike handling skills.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    Good on you, it really is a matter of edging your way back into feeling confident again and the only way to do that is by riding.
    I've been riding for a while and am reasonably competent but had an accident a year or so ago on a right hand bend, when I got back on a bike it took me a day at a track to actually go around a right hand corner at a decent speed again, I was really shocked at how averse I was to pushing the bike into the corner, left hand was no problem but my brain was not keen on right handers! Don't underestimate the impact of falling off, it will take some time to feel really happy again on the bike. Baby steps are good!

Take the advice on training, if you have a spare day and a couple of hundred dollars get a mornings dirt bike training with Tony at Endless dirt biking, take your husband too, it's a great way to learn bike handling skills.
    Thanks. Yes right handers are still hairy for me at the moment. The slower the better until I get more confident. That feeling of the bike falling away underneath you does not retreat easily!

Thread Information