Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted about restricted licence laws

Bike
    1984 h-d fxwg

Advice wanted about restricted licence laws

hi folks, as a normally mostly law-adibing 45 year old citizen, having been caught up in recent the changes to the graduated licencing system-i got my learners (6L) in june this year, and as it stood then was gonna be able to get my restricted this month (being 6 months later), and then it was gonna be another 6 months till my full-a period which i was gonna be able to shorten down to 3 months by doing the course, however i haven't 'had my finger on the pulse' (mainly because ltnz stated that those already in the system as it stood would be allowed to continue to progress thru it as it stood) and now while booking my restricted i found out about the new 18 month thing between restricted and full (along with the loss of the provision for over 25's to shorten it) (man,i really wish i'd got my bike licence years ago but untill recently i've only owned offroad bikes over past 30 years), anyway, i'm considering using my bike on the ODD occasion (never after drinking plus i'm not a risk taker/cop magnet) anyway.....the question is: what is the full penalty if caught riding a bike with an engine larger than allowed under 'lams' while you're on your 6R ? (i'm pretty sure it's a $400 fine and demerits, but i'm also wondering if they also add any time period added to getting your full licence-i can't see any online reference to any addition of time if caught but just wondering if i've missed anything), any accurate, knowledgable info much appreciated, t.i.a, cheers, al.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by al. View Post
    hi folks, as a normally mostly law-adibing 45 year old citizen, having been caught up in recent the changes to the graduated licencing system-i got my learners (6L) in june this year, and as it stood then was gonna be able to get my restricted this month (being 6 months later), and then it was gonna be another 6 months till my full-a period which i was gonna be able to shorten down to 3 months by doing the course, however i haven't 'had my finger on the pulse' (mainly because ltnz stated that those already in the system as it stood would be allowed to continue to progress thru it as it stood) and now while booking my restricted i found out about the new 18 month thing between restricted and full (along with the loss of the provision for over 25's to shorten it) (man,i really wish i'd got my bike licence years ago but untill recently i've only owned offroad bikes over past 30 years), anyway, i'm considering using my bike on the ODD occasion (never after drinking plus i'm not a risk taker/cop magnet) anyway.....the question is: what is the full penalty if caught riding a bike with an engine larger than allowed under 'lams' while you're on your 6R ? (i'm pretty sure it's a $400 fine and demerits, but i'm also wondering if they also add any time period added to getting your full licence-i can't see any online reference to any addition of time if caught but just wondering if i've missed anything), any accurate, knowledgable info much appreciated, t.i.a, cheers, al.
    Flutter your eyelids, act contrite, tell him how you've been riding for years with no license but your turning over a new leaf and trying to become a responsible member of society (you can add how you got caught out with the licensing changes) and he will never catch you doing 121kph again.
    Worked for me. On a 650,on my learners with no L plate attatched. Got the speeding ticket that was it.

Bike
    1984 h-d fxwg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Flutter your eyelids, act contrite, tell him how you've been riding for years with no license but your turning over a new leaf and trying to become a responsible member of society (you can add how you got caught out with the licensing changes) and he will never catch you doing 121kph again.
    Worked for me. On a 650,on my learners with no L plate attatched. Got the speeding ticket that was it.
    thanks bass, yep good idea, i reckon your "i've been riding for years with no license but now turning over a new leaf and trying to become a responsible member of society" theory is (on average) a really good one (assuming the cop is a decent character and at least considers exercising discretion-which is unfortunately getting rarer by the day, due to various aspects of their recruiting tactics, etc)) (the guy you ran into is obviously a decent dude), however if they decided to 'throw the book at' me (all it takes is one wrong cop), i'm wondering what the FULL possibilities are in terms of penalty (i can wear the fine and the demerits, but a further period added to the already lengthy wait for my full licence might see me develop arthritis before i get around to kickstarting my old bike on a regular basis lol). p.s my bike is 1340cc (although, in theory, whether it's 1cc or 680cc over the maximum allowed by lams shouldn't make a difference)....

Bike
    one that goes
    i'm considering using my bike on the ODD occasion (never after drinking plus i'm not a risk taker/cop magnet) anyway.....the question is: what is the full penalty if caught riding a bike with an engine larger than allowed under 'lams' while you're on your 6R ? (i'm pretty sure it's a $400 fine and demerits, but i'm also wondering if they also add any time period added to getting your full licence-i can't see any online reference to any addition of time if caught but just wondering if i've missed anything), any accurate, knowledgable info much appreciated, t.i.a, cheers, al.
    Question for u .. Why write this sort of shit on a public forum telling the world your intentions ? Just do it. You know if you are caught you'r in the shit, so if you take the risk and are caught then that was your decision,put up with whatever the system throws at you...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    but i'm also wondering if they also add any time period added to getting your full licence-i can't see any online reference to any addition of time if caught but just wondering if i've missed anything), any accurate, knowledgable info much appreciated, t.i.a, cheers, al.
    They don't add to your time ... but enough demerits and you walk for three months.

Police do random rego checks via their radio as they follow (because bikers are dodgy buggers eh) so you wont know you're being checked.

If you get pinged for speeding and riding outside your conditions of your license ... you get the fines for both. But only the demerits for the more serious offence.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1984 h-d fxwg
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin View Post
    Question for u .. Why write this sort of shit on a public forum telling the world your intentions ? Just do it. You know if you are caught you'r in the shit, so if you take the risk and are caught then that was your decision,put up with whatever the system throws at you...
    i nearly didn't bother replying to this but i thought i'd mention that i was only after constructive input. and the answer to your question (if you couldn't work it out from the elaborate post i started with...) is: i'm rationally evaluating the potential risks and using that criteria to decide whether or not to go ahead with it-based on how significantly it will impact me and in what area/manner... and as for putting my intentions on a public forum, how could that possibly negatively affect me?-and how else could i get a wide ranging realworld perspective on such a point??

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Nah you're fucked now, theres a APB out for al.

Bike
    1984 h-d fxwg
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    They don't add to your time ... but enough demerits and you walk for three months.

Police do random rego checks via their radio as they follow (because bikers are dodgy buggers eh) so you wont know you're being checked.

If you get pinged for speeding and riding outside your conditions of your license ... you get the fines for both. But only the demerits for the more serious offence.
    cool, thanks, i don't mind the fine and can accommodate the demerits (i'm currently at 60-from daring to creep above 100 k/m/h in my car on the open road on a few occasions... if they definitely can't add to the time to get full licence then i'm happy to take the punt occasionally. as for only getting the demerits for the more serious offence, do you know if that is law, or just what TENDS to happen? (not that i'll be pushing it on the bike) thanks again.

Bike
    1984 h-d fxwg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Nah you're fucked now, theres a APB out for al.
    lol. i'm going down into the bunker now

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    cool, thanks, i don't mind the fine and can accommodate the demerits (i'm currently at 60-from daring to creep above 100 k/m/h in my car on the open road on a few occasions... if they definitely can't add to the time to get full licence then i'm happy to take the punt occasionally. as for only getting the demerits for the more serious offence, do you know if that is law, or just what TENDS to happen? (not that i'll be pushing it on the bike) thanks again.
    One demerits penalty per stop only is allowed in legislation.

Bike
    1984 h-d fxwg
    One demerits penalty per stop only is allowed in legislation.
    cheers for that, that's good news indeed -i dig your avatar by the way!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    cheers for that, that's good news indeed -i dig your avatar by the way!
    I only answered the questions you did ask.

Answers to questions you didn't ask are as follows ... like ... what ELSE can be done to me .. ??

1. receiving an infringement fine of $400
    2. receiving a fine of up to $1,000 if summonsed to court (this would likely follow persistent offending)
    3. being forbidden to drive by police
    4. having your vehicle seized on the roadside and impounded for 28 days
    5. being declined vehicle insurance
    6. having an insurance claim declined.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    I only answered the questions you did ask.

Answers to questions you didn't ask are as follows ... like ... what ELSE can be done to me .. ??

1. receiving an infringement fine of $400
    2. receiving a fine of up to $1,000 if summonsed to court (this would likely follow persistent offending)
    3. being forbidden to drive by police
    4. having your vehicle seized on the roadside and impounded for 28 days
    5. being declined vehicle insurance
    6. having an insurance claim declined.
    7, third offense, may have vehicle impounded and crushed. ( "boy racer" legislation )
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Kate
    Does a X month loss of license therefore mean that even though it was 18 months ago that you obtained your restricted there has been a period of X months therefore you have legally only had your restricted for 18-X months, if X = 6 that means restricted for only 12 months and therefore not allowed to sit full?

With LAMS allowing up to 650cc bikes why would you? Can't you do enough damage on a 650?
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Does a X month loss of license therefore mean that even though it was 18 months ago that you obtained your restricted there has been a period of X months therefore you have legally only had your restricted for 18-X months, if X = 6 that means restricted for only 12 months and therefore not allowed to sit full?

With LAMS allowing up to 650cc bikes why would you? Can't you do enough damage on a 650?
    Loss of license time does not count for/in a time period a license is held.

Thread Information