Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paekakariki Hill Rd speed limit will be reduced to 60km/h

Bike
    flat to vee twin depending

Smile Paekakariki Hill Rd speed limit will be reduced to 60km/h

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...roads-possible

It is possible to put a submission to Porirua City Council about this. I will be.

Not only does a crook from our blessed Guvmint raise your ACC levies...now we have a consortium of central and local Guvmint bodies determined to implement nanny measures to impede your life choices.

Porirua City chose a very dodgy "temporary" 60km/hr speed limit for Grays Rd for the last two years, now of course it will be permanent. Police were pleased as they pinged heaps of people on the road once the slow limit was in place.

And now by stealth, they (PCC) will move to make Paekakariki Hill Rd another 60km/hr road.

I do feel strongly about this, as a regular user on my bike, particularly of the Piekock Hill. It is surely an unforgiving road if you ride like a clown or more often than not meet a clown who cuts corners. BUT it is not a dangerous road in the sense that current speed limits mean you are risking death every time you ride it.

Grays Road is similar in that the (current) 60km/hr speed limit is inappropriate for large sections of it. It came about because people ignored signposted corner speed advisory warnings in the past. Because they couldn't steer a car or lean a bike round a 30km/hr corner, then crashed. Or took a car/bike for a fang and ended up killing themselves or others along the way. So for all these people who presumably had a licence to drive/ride, then screwed up on this road, we all now are deemed incapable of driving this road, therefore will be collectively punished by a 60km/hr limit.

Just bringing this to the attention of anyone else who cares about neat roads to ride.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Motorcyclist adhering to the posted speed limit since ages ago.....

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Too many motorists outriding/driving their talents have caused this.Fuckem another good road fucked.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki V Strom DL 1000
    Blog Entries
    I suggest you make your submission along these lines;

The speed limit signs for this road should state;
    60km/h unless you ride a motorbike in which case it is 90 km/h unless you are a member of Kiwibiker in which case the skys the limit cause we are all experts.

Quote Originally Posted by la buona View Post
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...roads-possible

It is possible to put a submission to Porirua City Council about this. I will be.

Not only does a crook from our blessed Guvmint raise your ACC levies...now we have a consortium of central and local Guvmint bodies determined to implement nanny measures to impede your life choices.

Porirua City chose a very dodgy "temporary" 60km/hr speed limit for Grays Rd for the last two years, now of course it will be permanent. Police were pleased as they pinged heaps of people on the road once the slow limit was in place.

And now by stealth, they (PCC) will move to make Paekakariki Hill Rd another 60km/hr road.

I do feel strongly about this, as a regular user on my bike, particularly of the Piekock Hill. It is surely an unforgiving road if you ride like a clown or more often than not meet a clown who cuts corners. BUT it is not a dangerous road in the sense that current speed limits mean you are risking death every time you ride it.

Grays Road is similar in that the (current) 60km/hr speed limit is inappropriate for large sections of it. It came about because people ignored signposted corner speed advisory warnings in the past. Because they couldn't steer a car or lean a bike round a 30km/hr corner, then crashed. Or took a car/bike for a fang and ended up killing themselves or others along the way. So for all these people who presumably had a licence to drive/ride, then screwed up on this road, we all now are deemed incapable of driving this road, therefore will be collectively punished by a 60km/hr limit.

Just bringing this to the attention of anyone else who cares about neat roads to ride.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SAR
    Quote Originally Posted by red mermaid View Post
    I suggest you make your submission along these lines;

The speed limit signs for this road should state;
    60km/h unless you ride a motorbike in which case it is 90 km/h unless you are a member of Kiwibiker in which case the skys the limit cause we are all experts.

From one expert to another: How many fatalities were caused by people driving / riding at or under the speed limit on Grays road before they lowered the speed limit?

And how many accidents have happened on the Paekak hill rd under the existing speed limit?

In the absence of correct data I'll just go ahead and assume that on both roads almost all of the accidents happened over the speed limit before they changed them. I suggest almost all accidents will continue to happen over the speed limit after they change them.

Y'see, much as the KB general populace might over-value their own opinion Porirua council doesn't actually have any better amunition, do they? In fact it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the KB population have as much authority to arbitrarilly change speed limits as the Porirua council. I know I do.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    http://www.pcc.govt.nz/

Heres the link to PCC. No public notice yet on their website re consultation over speed reviews. But you could get practice in on the pooper scooper review, just to get your eye in eh.

TeKomiti minutes show that they have resolved to seek public input on the speed reviews and have had reps from Pauatahanui residents Ass. supporting a speed reduction on the Pie-cock road. If you can post here then you can submit to PCC on your views. Heck for all I know I'm out in the cold and being irresponsible in NOT supporting a speed reduction. Past caring at my age and know that this will be ramrodded through unless people make their voices heard.

I can see the residents frustration (at speeders) but there's lots of factors at play here.

Not quite sure even if PCC control the road beyond the summit/lookout which I think is in Kapiti Coast.

Grays Rd speed limit at 60km/hr is just ridiculous, the authorities are treating everyone like a dip-stick. Now they will extend their fascist intentions to place further controls over your choices. What next? Speed reduced to the slowest posted speed advisory sign on the road? You bet. Then go and get a bicycle no rego no acc but thats Ok you'll be green then...fine with PCC....don't forget your civic pooper scooper either good citizens!

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    I don't understand why pie cock has such a reputation for crashes. It's perfectly cambered and beautifully surfaced. Very rare to see such an unimportant little road that's had so much maintenance attention paid to it. Probably because people like to ride (and drive?) it for fun, and the local authority sympathises. Or at least wants to minimise the risk, which is thoughtful of them.

I've heard it described as a goat track, but the quality of its construction has more in common with the Nurburgring than with the usual run of NZ back roads.

And I don't think heavy traffic is in the habit of spilling diesel on it, is it?

So what's up with all the bins? What's causing them? Are people's machine-control skills really that poor?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Very rare to see such an unimportant little road that's had so much maintenance attention paid to it.
    Actually, it's quite an important little road. The Centennial Highway between Pukerua Bay & Paekakariki has an even higher incident rate and when that road is closed the Piecock becomes a vital link. It's perfectly driveable & rideable at open road speeds IMO also so, what gives?

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Actually, it's quite an important little road. The Centennial Highway between Pukerua Bay & Paekakariki has an even higher incident rate and when that road is closed the Piecock becomes a vital link.
    Ah, that explains it, then. I did think it was awfully altruistic of the council to surface a playground like that.

It's perfectly driveable & rideable at open road speeds IMO also so, what gives?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Actually, it's quite an important little road. The Centennial Highway between Pukerua Bay & Paekakariki has an even higher incident rate and when that road is closed the Piecock becomes a vital link. It's perfectly driveable & rideable at open road speeds IMO also so, what gives?
    Yep, too right, a sweet road. Also an unforgiving road (like any road can be) but add in numerous side exits (lifestyle block driveways) daily commuter Michael Schumachers in company sponsored Nissans & Holdens, mix in camper vans (with their GPS's pointing them up the Pie-Cock hill) crap on the road, tight corners and squished possums, it's a challenge.

I love it!

Regarding accidents stats I don't have them but know of two motorcycle deaths on the road, the most recent earlier this year of course.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SAR
    Actually, it's quite an important little road. The Centennial Highway between Pukerua Bay & Paekakariki has an even higher incident rate and when that road is closed the Piecock becomes a vital link.
    As is frequently is when there's an incident on the main highway and it takes many many hours to clean up.

It's perfectly driveable & rideable at open road speeds IMO also so, what gives?
    Probably just that the traffic load has been increasing for some time, and while the road's OK in most regards there's a notable shortage of run-off options, so the stat's creep up.

I gave up bombing it years ago, nowadays I just pick a speed and hold it, just as entertaining.

It's 75k.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by la buona View Post
    Speed limits aren't just about you. The most dangerous things on this road are the Mummymobiles and the Boi Racers that are incapable of staying on the left of the centreline. I would be delighted if they conformed with the 60kmh restriction as well as with other road rules. This road is good fun at 70kmh and there aren't that many places where that can or indeed should be exceeded. Needless to say I have a Very Small Penis.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Speed limits aren't just about you. The most dangerous things on this road are the Mummymobiles and the Boi Racers that are incapable of staying on the left of the centreline. I would be delighted if they conformed with the 60kmh restriction as well as with other road rules. This road is good fun at 70kmh and there aren't that many places where that can or indeed should be exceeded. Needless to say I have a Very Small Penis.
    Reduction in the speed limit is about the only action the council CAN take ... and be seen as as taking action on the problem. They cannot restrict the use of the road to capable users ... as much as they (and we) would prefer.

Those that need a "Twistie fix" ... will need to go further afield ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    In the absence of correct data I'll just go ahead and assume that on both roads almost all of the accidents happened over the speed limit before they changed them.
    Probably not. The Council may say that x% of crashes were speed related but not all of them will be above the speed limit. If you lose control on a corner you can be pretty much sure that unless you fell asleep or were pissed, speed will be recorded against the crash. Too fast for the curve could be 30km/h below the speed limit. Throw in crashes in the wet, where you might be too fast for the conditions and they all add up to speed related crashes occurring below the speed limit. And then of course hitting a black cow at night on straight road and admitting you were doing ten over the limit will get recorded as speed related as well.

Councils get a lot of pressure from residents. But if the problem is speeding drivers then the solution isn't lowering the speed limit. How's that going to work then? I'd suggest that a high number of drivers exceeding the speed limit indicates that it is too low as it is. Lower it further, below what is seen as an 'acceptable' speed limit by road users and they will get even less compliance leading to a number of other safety problems. More $$$$ of course for the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Post Article
    A newspaper report stated that there had been over 100 reported crashes, including three deaths, on the road between 2004 and 2009. Eighty-five of these crashes were due to vehicles losing control on the bends.
    Hmm. Assuming the same reasoning is used as that above for Grays Road then it might be interesting to know where those crashes were and what were the reasons for them. Find that three shit corners accounted for 90% of the crashes, half of them in the wet, and three quarters of them were below the speed limit and I would suggest the speed limit is not the problem, even though many people see it as the instant solution to their problems. It rarely is. But it is way cheaper than fixing the corners.

Bike
    TF125
    Excuse the dredge but it highlights the gradual creep towards walking pace http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ock+hill+limit

Thread Information