Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who are these "bikies"?

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    They used to do an advert in the local paper of Rick Barker - one photo of him in his suit - and the other of him standing in his leather next to his bike - advertising that you really do not know what profession motorcyclists have and that they can come from all walks of life......
    I reckon one of those splitdown the middle ones would be good. You know, where half is in leather, half in a suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully
    The mind boggles.

Unless you were pillioning the sheep - which is more innocent I suppose (but no less baffling)

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Mate --WTF is a rocker

The part that says 'California'.
    Sheesh...you young fellas...such sheltered lives.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    This was the issue that bugged me the most after leaving the meeting last night. Government departments, politicians and the media have created a science out of pigeon-holing people and de-humanising them. So, people who ride motorcycles become bikers. People who walk become pedestrians even if it's only a short walk from their car to a shop, where they then become consumers etc.

I wear a number of hats, some intermittently, some constantly. I'm a husband, a father, a grandfather, a car driver, a motorcycle rider, a pedestrian, an employer, a tax payer, a ratepayer, a van driver, a consumer, an internet junkie, AND A VOTER.

Bike
    Change the top bar to suit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patch.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	153132  
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    This is a good idea.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Just quietly, and at the risk of sounding like Katman, I don't thing think the general public give a shit about motorcyclists. As a rule unless you are associated with a biker of some type you have probably been bought up with the 'temporary citizens' line of thought.
    Unfortunately this opinion is reinforced every weekend when Joe Public is cruising along at 95 and a bike passes at 120 or so.
    In the same situation driving the car with my family, Mrs B often says 'you don't ride that quick do you? ..... when my response is 'he's alright, plenty of room etc and only cruising' I get the head shake.

WHAT TO DO
    I think to alter the general stereotypical opinion of motorcyclists we need to get some of the famous NZ bikers in the public eye - where are the riding All Blacks and TV stars? People who the public recognize and respect. These people need to be visibly out there and complaining.

Bike
    The lovely Dr Ropata will become Jake the Muss. We could do with Judy Bailey tho

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Change the top bar to suit...
    Mate - Can ya have another go-- Maybee bigger with the JOB description But holey cow that really makes a point doesn't it --clear and precise --
    WE are your voters doofus
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    You mean like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	for frostie.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	153146  

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Just quietly, and at the risk of sounding like Katman, I don't thing think the general public give a shit about motorcyclists. and only cruising' I get the head shake.
    mate thats actually the point Im making really.
    Its a two pronged aproach 1)get some non biker public awareness that bikers are just normal folks
    2) make the pollys aware that they are affecting VOTERS from all walks of life--Ie they have less than two years and we may be voting em out
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    You mean like this...
    yea mate --cept dunno if a car dealer is concidered to ba human lol
    and no taking away the word car probably aint a good idea I dont wanna be a target for sniffer dogs lol

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Just quietly, and at the risk of sounding like Katman, I don't thing think the general public give a shit about motorcyclists. As a rule unless you are associated with a biker of some type you have probably been bought up with the 'temporary citizens' line of thought.
    Unfortunately this opinion is reinforced every weekend when Joe Public is cruising along at 95 and a bike passes at 120 or so.
    In the same situation driving the car with my family, Mrs B often says 'you don't ride that quick do you? ..... when my response is 'he's alright, plenty of room etc and only cruising' I get the head shake.

WHAT TO DO
    I think to alter the general stereotypical opinion of motorcyclists we need to get some of the famous NZ bikers in the public eye - where are the riding All Blacks and TV stars? People who the public recognize and respect. These people need to be visibly out there and complaining.
    The funny thing is it's got fuck all to do with bikes anymore (well near enough). Well, in regards to friends, and the people i've spoken to at work.

They just stare back with blank faces until you mention that their employee levy is under review and the so far the proposal (according to the media) is to raise it 60% per hundred dollars... they soon prick their ears up... and if ya wanna get their eyes, just mention the fuel levy and the piece de resistance, that car rego is being looked at and could rise by as much as 72%...

To me it's every wo/man for her/himself, after all we're all individuals with different needs, wants and desires, differing levels of income, perceived statuses, a trust account... But it seems that you'll only get the attention of Joe Public if you slap them in the face with the facts. Only 2 more years to go, how hard could it be!!!
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    An off the cuff comment by somebody recently gave me the germ of an idea.
    "Bikies"--- nasty smelly fringe of society types or fat balding middle aged IT geeks .

Now what would happen if a protest "parkup" was staged and the bikers concerned were seen as being doctors, nurses fireys,mechanics,shopkeepers etc?
    Same as the bikio or the mission bay event.
    Getting across the message-"hey we are normal people who choose bikes as a means of transport" AND VOTE
    Sorry Tony, But what shade of difference do you really think it would make to the decision that had been made well before any protest was even thought of ?

It's been done, gone ! I know of lots of riders who will not be reging their bikes from now on and they will run ! There will be lots of deaths ! ACC's income will go down and their cost will go up ! So be it ! It is the NZ way !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    2010 Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Eng_dave View Post
    I heard on Seven Days them taking the piss out of the Wellington ride. That the participants were criminals, gang members and IT consultants!!! If this is what the stereo type is of a biker is we got some work to do people. I knew there was a reason for my irational hatred of Dai Henwood.

But you gotta remember thats coming from a bunch of untalented comedians on a fri night show that cant find any new material and try to make fun of stuff the either find on the net or read if they can from a newspaper then laugh at themselves .

NOW THAT IS FUNNY .
    Just going my own way

Bike
    98 Honda Blackbird
    As an IT Consultant, it's feels quite invigorating to be placed in a group alongside criminals and gang members. Who'd have thought, least likely the gang members?

Thread Information