PDA

View Full Version : Wellington to Auckand Nov 29

Woody@nztrails.com
10th November 2006, 22:20
Anyone heading out of Wellington towards Auckland on Nov 29? I'm flying in at 7am, grabing a bit of breakie and closing the deal on my new HD and heading north about 9ish hopefully - keen for some riding companions if anyone is heading north on the day? I imagine I'll be stopping a fair bit, not travelling too fast and having a hard time wiping the stupid grin off my face!

Thinking of trying to do the full stretch in one day (kinda have to be back at work on Thursday if possible). Am I being over optimistic? First day on a new bike and all? Not been road riding for a couple of years.

grego
11th November 2006, 05:21
After a few years off bikes I bought a crappy old Honda on Trademe which was situated in Blenheim. I flew over and picked it up and the next day on the ferry and drove it home to Napier. No worries. You should be fine if you stretch your legs a bit every 200km.

Mind you , you did say you were picking up a Harley Davidson didn,t you ..............???:done:

Woody@nztrails.com
15th November 2006, 17:55
Thanks Grego - had a closer look at the map and it's less distance than I'd thought. For some reason I had 1000K in my head - shows you how often this 'slightly north of the Bombays' resident has been to Wellington!.

And yes, i did say HD :yes: We're not going to start another "one" of those threads are we?? Gotta say "each to thier own" I love all bikes and have owned & enjoyed at least one from all the Japanese brands but have also always liked HD's and felt it was time to give one a go?

Cheers
Woody

Drum
15th November 2006, 18:14
Sounds like a damn good way to get the feel of the new bike.
Which model did you get?

Don't forget to watch Easy Rider before your road TRIP to get in the mood.

Woody@nztrails.com
15th November 2006, 19:19
The new Deuce and I can't wait to throw my leg over it and eat up some miles.

Good movie but with 2 weeks to go, I can't seem to get myself out of the mood !

Clivoris
15th November 2006, 21:49
Don't they sell them in Auckland?

grego
15th November 2006, 22:20
Neeeh,
got nothing against HD's, especially now that they are ridden by decent folks here in NZ, not by thugs.

After all the many different factories all over the world make many different styles of bikes so that everybody can find something that suits them.

Easy Rider is one heck of a movie but I'd rather recommend a DVD from a defensiv driver course instead, and watch out for all the fuckwitts who are trying to kill you out there.
Best of luck to ye
grego

TLDV8
15th November 2006, 22:45
Thinking of trying to do the full stretch in one day (kinda have to be back at work on Thursday if possible). Am I being over optimistic? First day on a new bike and all? Not been road riding for a couple of years.

Its only 620 kms and a HD would be a fairly comfortable bike.
Pace yourself with stops and it will be a breeze even with a 2 year break from riding.
I would be more concerned about a new bike and running it in if it is new as in brand new.

Hawkeye
16th November 2006, 07:40
Anyone heading out of Wellington towards Auckland on Nov 29? I'm flying in at 7am, grabing a bit of breakie and closing the deal on my new HD and heading north about 9ish hopefully - keen for some riding companions if anyone is heading north on the day? I imagine I'll be stopping a fair bit, not travelling too fast and having a hard time wiping the stupid grin off my face!

Have a word with Str8. She has just done it the opposite way. (It was probably easier for her as she was going downhill :laugh:.) Just hope you don't get the same weather as her. I certainly wouldn't want to ride a new bike in those conditions. Enjoy the experience of learning the new bike and stay safe.

Woody@nztrails.com
16th November 2006, 20:51
Don't they sell them in Auckland?

Earliest delivery through the Auckland team was April. All their Deuces were pre sold up to then and I didn't want to miss the summer!

Woody@nztrails.com
16th November 2006, 20:54
Have a word with Str8. She has just done it the opposite way. (It was probably easier for her as she was going downhill :laugh:.) Just hope you don't get the same weather as her. I certainly wouldn't want to ride a new bike in those conditions. Enjoy the experience of learning the new bike and stay safe.

Hopefully the torque a V twin offers will help with the slope!

Thanks Hawkeye!

Clivoris
16th November 2006, 21:00
Earliest delivery through the Auckland team was April. All their Deuces were pre sold up to then and I didn't want to miss the summer!

It's keen chaps like you that make mainstream New Zealanders think bikers are demented puppy murderers that will trample over small children to get their fix:yes:. Keep up the good work bro. We wouldn't want to let them down.:rockon:

diggydog
16th November 2006, 21:27
hopefully my day well come soon to getting a hd, as i love the look and sound, good on yah, hope you have nice ride to welly and good weather.

Woody@nztrails.com
19th November 2006, 20:37
CLIVORIS - mate, the girls in the office cracked up when I read your post out - mostly cause they think I'm mad anyway! Cheers mate.

DIGGIDY DOG - Know where your coming from mate. I owned a Honda Shadow ACE in the late 90's and loved it, but always had a niggling desire for an HD ( 16 year long niggle when I think back ). You'll get there!
Thanks
Woody