PDA

View Full Version : Spare a thought

snuffles
1st September 2006, 08:33
Guys,

spare a thought for the staff at Sawyers today, at least 2 of them got laid off yesterday.

So not a happy place to go visit presently.

So if anyone out there knows of possis in bike shops for a great sales guy and a fabulous parts person, let me know and I will give details.

Swoop
1st September 2006, 08:37
Bummer.
I thought that bike sales were slowly climbing.

Hope the guys find work quickly!

skelstar
1st September 2006, 09:17
Apparently they have halved their retail space. Sawyers side is disapearing and its now only the Motorad side. This is hearsay BTW (my info anyway).

Rent went up bigtime.

snuffles
1st September 2006, 09:30
Apparently they have halved their retail space. Sawyers side is disapearing and its now only the Motorad side. This is hearsay BTW (my info anyway).

Rent went up bigtime.

That is correct.

Beemer
1st September 2006, 09:47
That's a bugger. Maybe that's the reason they can't afford heating - we were in there last week and it was warmer outside than in!

Not good news for the staff, and they had some good ones there.

Hitcher
1st September 2006, 13:14
Sad news. They really need space in town with a bigger workshop. A smaller shop means they won't be able to display as many bikes or as much gear. If you can't see it, you don't buy it. I hope this doesn't lead to some sort of death spiral.

Swoop
1st September 2006, 13:32
Rent went up bigtime.

Not taking the piss here, but I'll guess the landlord is blaming it on the price of petrol?
I had a similar instance recently when told a "service" had doubled in price. I mentioned the fact and was told "well petrol has gone up"...
FFS! there was NO transport cost involved with this business. I will not be returning there in future.

Beemer
1st September 2006, 13:58
Not taking the piss here, but I'll guess the landlord is blaming it on the price of petrol?

I would doubt it, more likely the current valuation on the property has meant a rise in rates and other associated charges and therefore the landlord would have no option but to increase the rent to try and recover those charges.

Valuations in Wellington have skyrocketed and don't forget the shop is only a few minutes walk from Courtenay Place and other central parts of the city.