PDA

View Full Version : The one you regretted selling

nudemetalz
21st October 2005, 09:18
Just reading up on the GT750 that Ixion has just bought made me think (I do too much thinking)

What was the bike that you think back on and tell yourself that you wish you hadn't sold it.
ie It may be worth a lot today or you just plain miss it !!

Mine is my old RZ-500. I loved it and still to this day do not know why I did get rid of it. Every ride was an experience as only an owner of a large capacity 2-stroke can relate to.

What about you peoples ..

TLDV8
21st October 2005, 09:20
I pretty much have every bike i ever bought,sold 4 roadbikes and 3 dirtbikes.... the flipside is i sold my CBX for $1500 in 1990.

Sniper
21st October 2005, 09:21
CG125, you always love your first bike.

Lou Girardin
21st October 2005, 09:22
'83 GPz750. Not for what it was, but for what it represented.

James Deuce
21st October 2005, 09:24
My '87 RG250FG.

Did everything well and I used to "Velox" the big boys on the Rimutakas.

Ixion
21st October 2005, 09:32
Velocette 500. I can only say that I was young stupid and insane, hankering after false gods. I have been punished by 30 years of regret.

Omega1
21st October 2005, 09:40
My 2000 TT600 Triumph, ok not the most popular bike,but I loved it, I only sold it to buy a Mate's Car huge mistake, after three months without a bike I decided I had to have another bike so I brought the ZX7R.

Badcat
21st October 2005, 09:45
my KTM 640 supermoto prestige.

http://www.kenkong.com/album/album.php?albumId=415&libraryId=55&personId=3

should have kept it and lowered the suspension.

MSTRS
21st October 2005, 09:52
Over the years I have owned & sold many bikes. I am happy to announce that I still own the one I like best.

SARGE
21st October 2005, 09:55
had a 1985 Vmax; bought it in 89..took the rear shocks off and replaced them with some 440 stainless bars and 8' wheelie bars ( were legal for street use in the states at that time).. over the next several years, i built and tweeked and finally was knocking on 9.20's at the local drags. fitted HD clutchpacks, air shifter, frame braces and a 75 HP nitrous hit and it dropped into the high 8 second bracket, but at that point it was not used on the street

dropping anchor at 140 mph with Vmax brakes was a drama to say the least but i loved that bike.

vifferman
21st October 2005, 09:55
Over the years I have owned & sold many bikes. I am happy to announce that I still own the one I like best.
Same here, although I've had only 7 bikes, and apart from the XBR500RS mutant, each of them was better than the one it replaced, so I've no regrets. Although the dirtbike I had back in 76/77 would be nice to have some fun on, assuming I could get parts for it.

Oakie
21st October 2005, 10:08
Yeah, each bike for me was an improvement on the last (except when I sold the GT125 and bought a rusty push bike with no front brake) so I suppose I can't really say I regreted selling any. (The GT was sold because we had two littlun's a new mortgage and I only lived a kilometre from work so the bike was a luxury).

I still do wonder some times whatever happened to my only brand new bike, the 1980 ish Z400, rego 88FJO. Perhaps I'll do a search on the rego sometime and see if it's still alive.

Postie
21st October 2005, 10:13
I had an RGV250 with the banana arm and i had all the fairing replaced with custome made carbon fibre, it look hot and went like greyhound on speed. i sold it and regreted it instantly and said i would buy it back when the guy sold it. i just found out that he sold it last week and i didn't know about it..... and i want it back :crybaby:

froggyfrenchman
21st October 2005, 10:15
I had a GB400 that was as mint as mint. I had spent zillions on it, was full of
black chrome and the deepest black laquer you ever saw. my parents owned a plating shop so all the aloy, including the enging was polished to look like chrome.

I sold it for $800. To pay the bond on a house :crybaby:

oldrider
21st October 2005, 10:21
Honda ST1100 55mpg @100mph. Best long range bikes I ever owned but just wasted on the roads here now because of Police/Govt attentions to speed. (would love an ST1300)
Not an attack on Police, you just can't appreciate an ST1100 at 100kph, it's an obscene arbitrary limit.
TransAlps are excellent for the current attitudes on the road. Bland? yes. Satisfied? Yes. Do I approve? NO. Cheers John. :whistle:

Gixxer 4 ever
21st October 2005, 10:44
1985 GSX-R 750. I know where it is :devil2: and if I can get some spare money it is coming home. :psst: The Gixxer I have eats it in all ways :love: but the 85 is special. Raw grunt and it was the bike I learnt to fly on. :whistle: I so miss that bike. :crybaby: I seriously wish I had not sold it.

Toast
21st October 2005, 10:45
'83 GPz750. Not for what it was, but for what it represented.

For the youngins please...what does it represent?

nudemetalz
21st October 2005, 10:48

GPz750's (the first ZX-750) were really good in their day, arguably better than the VF750F's (well, reliability camshaft wise anyway !!) and handled well too (by '83 standards).

Mental Trousers
21st October 2005, 10:54
Any bike I sold and didn't have a replacement lined up straight away. Funnily enough, those times have involved women :argh:

Gixxer 4 ever
21st October 2005, 11:01
What was the bike that you think back on and tell yourself that you wish you hadn't sold it.
Bugger, why did you have to bring this up. :crybaby: I so miss the 85. Had been in a serious smash when I got it. The front rim was 17mm out of line broken frame, bent forks and the more I pulled off it the more I found. I hunted parts down from all around the country and finally go it back on the road. It had 13 owners before me and was crash many times. 110,000 km on it when I sold it. Rebuilt engine at 85,000 because it ran dry when it was lying down a bank after the oil ran out the hole in the side cover. So I was told. Pic is what I started with.
The finished bike ready for sale :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

nudemetalz
21st October 2005, 11:06
Whoa,...

The GSXR definitely needed some work didn't it !!!

When I first bought my RZ-500, it was an RZ-375 !!!

I bought it in '93 to $2,000

New piston and rings in the back left cylinder (which from what I remember is the same as an early model TZR-250) and she was away.

Had it for a couple of years and then sold it for about $1500. It had quite a severe smoking problem which was resolved as a blown crank seal.
I wish I had have hung onto it and fixed it instead but,..alas, the lady I was with then didn't like bikes ..... :bash:

MrMelon
21st October 2005, 13:04
I regret selling my 3xv tzr250. It was the shit!

Lou Girardin
21st October 2005, 13:44

Nothing to do with bikes. Just a very personal time of life. Several mistakes I made starting with the sale of the Kwaka.

Big Dave
21st October 2005, 14:01
sigh :crybaby:

Brian d marge
21st October 2005, 14:12
never sold any ..one I think the D14 bantam ,,but the one I regret not keeping was the 750 bonnie ...Now I have the Enfield ,,,2 motors and enough cycle parts to see me into the next century ,,,
So I may no buy ( for personal use ) ANOTHER BIKE

Stephen

gamgee
21st October 2005, 14:36
have gone:
suzuki sj50qt
yamaha sr250
Honda vt250f
and there is a kawasaki zxr250 waiting to be picked up by me
so yeah i like a bit of variety when it comes to brands haha I'm gonna sell the vt250f and if the zxr doesn't live up to my expectations the vt could be the first bike i regret selling, as you can see i've always made a step up so never really regretted selling a bike yet

Goblin
21st October 2005, 15:04
I still kick myself for selling my KDX200 as it was given to me in boxes, a dear friend fixed it up and put it back together for me. I had no towbar or trailer to take it anywhere so made a track around the house and down the grass verge infront of the local school. Hours of fun were had until someone offered cold hard cash and I couldn't resist. Damn!! :crybaby:
I also now wish I'd kept my Impulse 'cos I could have started racing on it. Gotta get on a track one of these days!! :argh:

ben444
21st October 2005, 15:27
I want my Blade back...

Lou Girardin
21st October 2005, 15:34
We shouldn't give up hope though. A friend recently found a CB900 Bol d Or that he owned in '83, bought it, restored it to better than new.

limbimtimwim
21st October 2005, 15:41
sigh :crybaby:Dear Mr Dave,
You look like David Hasselhoff in that photo.

All this talk makes me very worried about what I am going to do in a year when I get my full.. Sell the VTR to fund the ??? or keep it forever. I do love it, dents, scratches and all.

Goblin
21st October 2005, 15:54
Dear Mr Dave,

All this talk makes me very worried about what I am going to do in a year when I get my full.. Sell the VTR to fund the ??? or keep it forever. I do love it, dents, scratches and all.

Fark, I thought it was The Hoff!

Dude, dont sell the VTR. Start saving for your new toy now, even if its just a little each week, and you wont have to sell it.

Big Dave
21st October 2005, 16:50
Dear Mr Dave,

hey! it was 1983 - and with that bike i pulled better babes than him.

Bonez
21st October 2005, 18:08
My old '82 GSX750EZ. 52,000 ks in 3 years. Thought it was high ks back then. Boy was I naive.

Waylander
21st October 2005, 18:14
Still own them both. Riding/fixing one, the other is gonna be the base of a project once I get better cash flow. Doubt I'll ever sell any bike I own but that may change.

Motu
21st October 2005, 20:29
I really regretted selling the XLV750 last year,I thought it was the perfect bike,and still do - but I just can't keep on buying bikes,some have to make way in my ongoing journey of studying motorcycles and their behaviour.I'll kick myself for years over the XLV750.

25 yrs later I also still think it was a dumb thing to do to sell a Rickman Metisse and a Cheney Triumph,and believe it or not they were hard to sell...no one knew what they were,but I did and knew they would be extremely valuable in later years...oh well,someone got rich,just not me.

It was sad to sell my wife's bikes - she had two pre unit Triumph 500s,a Tiger 100 and a Speedtwin,and enough spares to keep them going for years.We were on the bones of our arse for a few years,day to day was a struggle and my hair turned grey....but I still feel guilty because I still kept riding....

In the last hours before I left Waiheke Island I dispaired over how much I had collected - so out went an alloy tank and swingarm TT500 (non runner) for a song,my 1981 XR200 - I bought 2 bikes for $200 and thrashed it to death and thought getting $500 for it was pretty good,then when I wanted to replace it found out it was worth more than twice that.Same with the TS/TM400,I paid $100 for it,rode it on the street for a year,then raced it on the dirt track for 4,it was rough but solid and thought selling it for $200 was pretty good - I should of just tucked it away somewhere.

Badcat
21st October 2005, 20:43
I really regretted selling the XLV750 last year,I thought it was the perfect bike,and still do - but I just can't keep on buying bikes,some have to make way in my ongoing journey of studying motorcycles and their behaviour.I'll kick myself for years over the XLV750.

25 yrs later I also still think it was a dumb thing to do to sell a Rickman Metisse and a Cheney Triumph,and believe it or not they were hard to sell...no one knew what they were,but I did and knew they would be extremely valuable in later years...oh well,someone got rich,just not me.

It was sad to sell my wife's bikes - she had two pre unit Triumph 500s,a Tiger 100 and a Speedtwin,and enough spares to keep them going for years.We were on the bones of our arse for a few years,day to day was a struggle and my hair turned grey....but I still feel guilty because I still kept riding....

In the last hours before I left Waiheke Island I dispaired over how much I had collected - so out went an alloy tank and swingarm TT500 (non runner) for a song,my 1981 XR200 - I bought 2 bikes for $200 and thrashed it to death and thought getting $500 for it was pretty good,then when I wanted to replace it found out it was worth more than twice that.Same with the TS/TM400,I paid $100 for it,rode it on the street for a year,then raced it on the dirt track for 4,it was rough but solid and thought selling it for $200 was pretty good - I should of just tucked it away somewhere.

i regret selling my Africa twin, and the bros too.
and the 3xv TZR, and the KTM, ahh shit, this is getting depressing....

speights_bud
21st October 2005, 21:08
I am yet to sell any bike i have owned, therefor no regrets :niceone:

Ixion
21st October 2005, 21:46

Why not? You sound like Mrs Ixion. :spudgrr:

grantman
21st October 2005, 22:41
Mine was my Honda CBX750 FII
Not the greatest bike on specs but it just NEVER let me down.

Over 10 cold kiwi's on it
It was like it knew the way there!

Sold it to help pay for the wedding.

At least I have been able to buy a few bikes since.
kawasaki GPZ400 (cold kiwi bike)
XR250
CRF50

RiderInBlack
22nd October 2005, 06:34
OK, didn't sell her, more like dropped her (off the back of my bike-jealous Ute). Insurance paid out and I had the option of buying her back (damaged but repairable) for $1400. Miss her gear driven cams (lot better than fu*ken CBR cam fu*k chains), White Power rear shock, lighter weight (than "Roxanne") on the track and twisties, single-sided swingarm (so ezy to change a rear tyre and adjust the chain) and her awsome sound and looks. Frosty's had her and now it's Warr. Hope he as good luck putting her back together. Rode with 2 mint 1990 VFR750's on the GC. The sound and looks brought back fond memories, but made my miss her bad. Sorry got to go. Something in my eyes:weep:

Froth
22nd October 2005, 07:27
Maybe a new post should be started: why we sold our favourite bikes. I've got the lamest reason. My TT500 I did thousands of ks on and never at any stage was it road legal - sold to pay for gib-stopping on the house we were renovating. How sad is that!

kro
22nd October 2005, 07:41
RG250FG

Fully faired, from front to back, White/Red/Orange.

I had the most fun on that bike, it handled so well for its day.

Zed
22nd October 2005, 08:40
ie It may be worth a lot today or you just plain miss it !!The only bike I regret selling was the '95 Blade I bought brand new and sold for a loss 16 months later because I got married and needed some extra cash. :doh: Was good while it lasted but I don't really "miss" it.

inlinefour
22nd October 2005, 12:40
I had a nicely restored 1971 (first made and brought to NZ for testing) CB350/4. I made a reasonable about of $$$ on it, but looking back I really wish I'd kept it. However at that stage I was not in the financial situation of being able to keep it :crybaby:

SPman
23rd October 2005, 10:30
However at that stage I was not in the financial situation of being able to keep it :crybaby:
Probably the main reason for most of us .........

1974 Ducati 750SS!........fukit!

avgas
23rd October 2005, 10:44
Lets see:
82' TS185......I never got round to putting it back together....so my dad sold it :bash: :mad:
98' RG150.....didnt sell it as such.....just distroyed everything inside the motor (and didnt have the $2400 to buy the parts). Mate took the rolling body off me for $500 and lost $1000 after he fixed it and sold it - might still be in Colemans?.

Im gonna regret selling sapphire if i ever do, has serously been the best bike i ridden in a long time. Better than the 955i, TL, GSXR600, CBR600 and GSXF750.

Motig
23rd October 2005, 14:52
Yep, VFR 800 :crybaby: you guessed it needed the money.Might see my bank manager next year I think, just to have something with two wheels in the garage again :sunny:

Da Bird
24th October 2005, 22:22
Stupidest thing I ever did was sell my 1994 RF900 (with only 18000kms on the clock) to buy a new computer.

Second stupidest thing was sell it for below market value by at least a grand... wondered why I had so many phone calls!
That will teach me to ask a motorbike salesperson's opinion on the value of a bike. Next time I will do my own research... kicked myself a thousand times over that one but lesson learned.

BC.