PDA

View Full Version : Just found an old cheque

sil3nt
30th January 2012, 20:32
$30 from when i cancelled my insurance. Cheque is just over 7 months old now. I am assuming this is too old to cash now? Wonder if they will be nice enough to issue me a new one :facepalm:

FJRider
30th January 2012, 20:40
It shouldn't be ... check with the BANK concerned ...

Taz
30th January 2012, 20:46
It shouldn't be ... check with the BANK concerned ...

Pfft what would they know?? <_<

sil3nt
30th January 2012, 20:47
Banks are inconsiderate and aren't open this late :(

thecharmed01
30th January 2012, 20:59
Cheques have a lifespan of 12 months. You should be able to cash it fine :-)

Slingshot
30th January 2012, 21:02

What bank doesn't have 24 hour phone banking now days...

Taz
30th January 2012, 21:19

It's been 7 months whats another day?

Gremlin
30th January 2012, 21:20
I know ASB is available 24/7.

I thought cheques had a 6 month lifespan?

TrentNz
30th January 2012, 21:22
Mail it to me, ill check if its able to be used or not.

mossy1200
30th January 2012, 21:39

Wife works Kiwi Bank says 6months ,needs re-issued and new cheque provided.

cs363
30th January 2012, 21:39

99.9% certain that it's 6 months too....

Edit: A quick Google tends to confirm this

Bikemad
30th January 2012, 21:45
i vote 6 months

Winston001
30th January 2012, 22:57
Banking practice is to reject cheques which are more than 6 months old to avoid fraud. A cheque is a bill of exchange and regardless of bank policies remains valid for 6 years.

In reality you can deposit it with a fair chance it'll get through. There are few staff in banks these days to do paperwork and they simply may not notice. A cheque of mine went through which I'd forgotten to even sign. :facepalm:

If they do, ask the insurance co for a new cheque - sending the old one back so they can destroy it and mark it off in their accounts.

sil3nt
31st January 2012, 06:42
In reality you can deposit it with a fair chance it'll get through. There are few staff in banks these days to do paperwork and they simply may not notice. A cheque of mine went through which I'd forgotten to even sign. :facepalm:I went overseas for a month visited 3 different countries and it wasn't until I got back to New Zealand that I was told I needed to sign my passport and that I was travelling illegally :shit:

p.dath
31st January 2012, 07:04
$30 from when i cancelled my insurance. Cheque is just over 7 months old now. I am assuming this is too old to cash now? Wonder if they will be nice enough to issue me a new one :facepalm:

I'd say the cheque is history. For $30, I wouldn't put the effort into trying to get a new cheque. HOWEVER, I would probably just try and bank the cheque. There's a chance they wont spot the date issue.

sinfull
31st January 2012, 07:17
I got sent a cheque from the courts for over payment of fines about 10 months ago for 100 notes lol thought it was good for 12 ! Mehhh guess they still owe me aye !!!

Have it nicely stapled on the memory wall between the $35 refund cheque from IRD for over payment of maintanence and the courts order dissolving my marrage !!!

Hey some ppl like photos to remind them of the past !! Me, i like to remind myself i sure as fuck wouldn't wanna fuck up like that again !!!

Swoop
31st January 2012, 08:11
A cheque of mine went through which I'd forgotten to even sign. :facepalm:
Not unsurprising. A previous next door neighbour was a bank manager and for fun (out of work) used to grab any cheque he could find and sign it. His comment was that "they NEVER check them" unless there is a problem... normally a large problem.

Also, where I used to work: Accounts underpaid a workmate by the grand total of 35 cents one week, so they gave him a cheque for that amount!
He framed the cheque and hung it on the wall. This really pissed the bean-counters off, as their books failed to balance for quite some time and he received many phonecalls to "bank the bloody thing!".:clap:

Winston001
31st January 2012, 11:43
Accounts underpaid a workmate by the grand total of 35 cents one week, so they gave him a cheque for that amount!
He framed the cheque and hung it on the wall. This really pissed the bean-counters off, as their books failed to balance for quite some time and he received many phonecalls to "bank the bloody thing!".:clap:

LOL yeah understand that. The cost of carrying an unpresented cheque in your accounts is very high especially if you have to ask the bank to cancel it...$25 thankyou!!

avgas
31st January 2012, 12:28
deposit via atm and see what happens

thecharmed01
31st January 2012, 17:57
I recently banked one from Harvey Norman into my Westpac account and it went through fine 11 months after issue. It was one of those cashback ones and I kinda lost it. Then found it again.
Westpac told me as long as it was under 12 months old it was okay.... and the money went through fine.
So I'm still happy with 12 months :-)

mossy1200
31st January 2012, 18:20
Dont try take to bank it with my wife she notices if i move an orniment 5mm.Weekend staff are often part time students but you didnt hear that from me.

Thaeos
1st February 2012, 00:39
Six months. So sayeth the Westpac bible.

HenryDorsetCase
1st February 2012, 07:47
Banking practice is to reject cheques which are more than 6 months old to avoid fraud. A cheque is a bill of exchange and regardless of bank policies remains valid for 6 years.

In reality you can deposit it with a fair chance it'll get through. There are few staff in banks these days to do paperwork and they simply may not notice. A cheque of mine went through which I'd forgotten to even sign. :facepalm:

If they do, ask the insurance co for a new cheque - sending the old one back so they can destroy it and mark it off in their accounts.

hopefully drawn on your Trust Account........

:)