PDA

View Full Version : Great! Get used to paying the new "Road Tax", folks

willytheekid
16th June 2011, 08:17
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/5150035/Zero-tolerance-on-speeding-all-the-time

:facepalm:
Zero tolerance for missing revenue and Zero tolerance for looking at the actual facts of road fatalities and accidents.

But hopefully the Police :Police: step up and smack :spanking:this Politician back into line, at least the NZ police use facts and stats to make descisions...besides, they have "actual" criminals to catch....instead of pissing around collecting revenue and "trying to" make this ugly self centred bitch look good! (god that photo is scary!):nya:

If this goes through....Im may have to go back to riding matt-black 1000cc superbikes with a flip up number plate!.....some of us hate taxes that much!:mad:

oneofsix
16th June 2011, 08:25
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/5150035/Zero-tolerance-on-speeding-all-the-time

Zero tolerance for missing revenue and Zero tolerance for looking at the actual facts of road fatalities and accidents.

But hopefully the Police :Police: step up and smack :spanking:this Politician back into line, at least the NZ police use facts and stats to make descisions...besides, they have "actual" criminals to catch....instead of pissing around collecting revenue and "trying to" make this ugly self centred bitch look good! (god that photo is scary!):nya:

If this goes through....Im may have to go back to riding matt-black 1000cc superbikes with a flip up number plate!.....some of us hate taxes that much!:mad:

That is one scary photo. You can see she doesn't listen to reason from the look on her face. If she pushes this through the :Police: are going to wear the fall out, respect will drop through the floor.
:tugger: list: Judith Collins & Nick Smith

MSTRS
16th June 2011, 08:39
...at least the NZ police use facts...

Oh really?

Yes, and the stats are gathered from traffic crash reports, which poorly record a small percentage of actual crashes.

The problem with your argument is that it is based on the only set of stats we have, traffic crash reports attended by police. Thing is, people (the gubbermint too) take them as gospel, when they are approximate at best. They are okay for measuring trends, but take it from someone who has been filling them out for years, they are a poor stat gathering tool at best.

Swoop
16th June 2011, 08:49
"During the 1970s, more than 750 people died on the roads every year. "Whatever is happening, we are doing very well and unless something extraordinary happens we are in for a stellar year in this context".

Dopey bint obviously isn't going to compare apples with apples though. What was the population of NZ in the '70's?
Roughly 2.9million in 1970's.

We now have a population of 4.3 million and the road toll has decreased.

But any excuse to claim their tolerance worked and the shitty weather that weekend had absolutely no influence.

"and we are not going to give up on this one"
:lol:
Nothing like chasing your tail to attempt to achieve the unachievable.

NZsarge
16th June 2011, 08:53
I didn't see a pointy wide brimmed black hat in the photo in that article..

roogazza
16th June 2011, 08:57
I wonder what the opinions will be from all the experts when the figures return to the average.

thepom
16th June 2011, 09:05
new it was coming.............

A zero tolerance speeding policy credited for having a big impact on road deaths should be enforced outside public holidays, Police Minister Judith Collins says.

feel free to rant:tugger:

BoristheBiter
16th June 2011, 09:06
What a bunch of hot air this thread will become.:tugger::tugger:

The limit is still 100 get over yourselves.

oneofsix
16th June 2011, 09:06
I wonder what the opinions will be from all the experts when the figures return to the average.

That is a no brainer - lower the limit. It is a no brainer because it will not involve any brain work from "the experts"

Latte
16th June 2011, 09:15
So if you're gonna speed, go the whole hog and do 30 over?

scissorhands
16th June 2011, 09:16
I'm getting older so slowing down comes naturally.

One thing I noticed though which is quite disturbing.

I recently have cut out weed smoking. The result?
I am now travelling faster and less safe without its effects!!!!!!! No shit

As cannabis becomes more prevalent and alcohol less so, would the road toll reduce?

Lets see them struggle with that little gem:bleh:

Luckylegs
16th June 2011, 09:25
As cannabis becomes more prevalent and alcohol less so, would the road toll reduce?

Lets see them struggle with that little gem:bleh:

I'm sorry, in which dimension is this going to happen?

...and no, impaired people, be it drugs or alcohol have a bad habit of killing OTHER people. Their drug of choice won't make much difference

sil3nt
16th June 2011, 09:30
We are....funnily enough in the rant or rave section!
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/139026-Great!-get-used-to-paying-the-new-quot-Road-Tax-quot-folks?p=1130087805#post1130087805

scissorhands
16th June 2011, 09:34
I'm sorry, in which dimension is this going to happen?

...and no, impaired people, be it drugs or alcohol have a bad habit of killing OTHER people. Their drug of choice won't make much difference

Doesnt meth make you more alert? Dont they give it to ADHD people to calm them down? Is it not a medicine?:shake:

Failed logic there bro.

Luckylegs
16th June 2011, 09:51
Doesnt meth make you more alert? Dont they give it to ADHD people to calm them down? Is it not a medicine?:shake:

Failed logic there bro.

Who's talking about meth, ADHD or any other prescribed medicines. I w.i.l.l s.p.e.a.k s.l.o.w.l.y s.o t.h.e s.t.o.n.e.r c.a.n c.a.t.c.h u.p......

I said people who were impaired by drugs and alcohol, emphasis on the word impaired. I'm not going to decide what some drugs do or don't do to some people and therefore whether we should consider them impaired.

scissorhands
16th June 2011, 10:02
What about morons?

nodrog
16th June 2011, 10:11
What about morons?

Dont they ride pushbikes?

scumdog
16th June 2011, 10:16

wot 'e sed.

Banditbandit
16th June 2011, 10:20

YUP.. Told ya so .. (In another thread ...)

It's hard to argue that the reduction to a +4k tolerance from a +10k tolerance doesn't work - there were ZERO fatal road crashes over the Q's birthday weekend. That's a hard quantifiable result that is difficult to argue with ... (not impossible, just difficult .. I accept that there are many many valiables and speed is just one ...)

JUdith Collin's outburst was a predictable result ...

scumdog
16th June 2011, 10:21

HAS become...another KB yawn-fest....:rolleyes:<_<

ducatilover
16th June 2011, 10:24

Failed logic there bro.
Different types of amphetamines are used for ADD/ADHD, they are relatively minor psycho stimulants usually increasing the dopamine production in the brain, dopamine being the neurotransmitter that seems to be lacking within ADHD adults/children.
Methamphetamine is no longer used as a medical drug due to it's tendencies to veer people towards psychosis.

oneofsix
16th June 2011, 10:26
HAS become...another KB yawn-fest....:rolleyes:<_<

someone feeling the pressure? I read somewhere that stress makes people yawn. :laugh: Must be nearly donut and coffee time, the sugar will help.

bogan
16th June 2011, 10:31
Credit to the sneaky bastards for picking the right point though. The fatality rate has been on a near arrow straight downwards trend from 85-05 (all i have atm), and has reduced by more than half in that time. So it was only a matter of time before we had a no death long weekend. I think they got lucky in picking one first time round, but could likely have claimed an improvement in most cases, by the simple fact that things have been improving anyway.

I'll admit there may have been a psychological benefit in having everyone expecting tickets the whole weekend, but that would go out the window if the change was made permanent.

What's the fine for the +4 to +10 speed anyway? Is it about revenue? or making sure the books still show speed is a problem?

scissorhands
16th June 2011, 10:37
I wonder if they ever invent a way to test for alertness, fatigue, distraction, emotional state, stress, excessive caffeine consumption, driving with a low IQ, intolerance toward others testing, anger testing, racial anger toward other motorists.....drivers who have just watched Top Gear.......

prolly all up there with speeding (excessive speed not meth)

ducatilover
16th June 2011, 10:41
I wonder if they ever invent a way to test for alertness, fatigue, distraction, emotional state, stress, excessive caffeine consumption, driving with a low IQ, intolerance toward others testing, anger testing, racial anger toward other motorists.....drivers who have just watched Top Gear.......

prolly all up there with speeding (excessive speed not meth)
They have and they simplified it. If your vehicle has any non standard parts on it, ie big gay chrome rims, you should be targeted.

You forgot to put in eye sight too, yes they test that, but, it can be argued that my eyes are too fucked for me to be safe. Yet, I am safe (Katmans gift to bikers I am)

Morcs
16th June 2011, 10:49
cant base it on one weekend. especially given the weather was shit, and im sure a lot of people wont travel on those weekends, as not only do we have to contend with fucktards filling up the roads, but with the increased police presence makes it weekends to deliberately not go away. easier to use a days holiday and make the following weekend a long one...

rachprice
16th June 2011, 10:51
Different types of amphetamines are used for ADD/ADHD, they are relatively minor psycho stimulants usually increasing the dopamine production in the brain, dopamine being the neurotransmitter that seems to be lacking within ADHD adults/children.
Methamphetamine is no longer used as a medical drug due to it's tendencies to veer people towards psychosis.

Well actually I found out the other day that I could legally prescribe meth, acid anything as a controlled substance (just had to be approved by the ministry) but cracked me up!!!

Luckylegs
16th June 2011, 11:02

Well actually I found out the other day that I could legally prescribe meth, acid anything as a controlled substance (just had to be approved by the ministry) but cracked me up!!!

...so put that in your pipe and smoke it

Deano
16th June 2011, 11:02

"cracked" you up did it ? LOL

rachprice
16th June 2011, 11:10
...so put that in your pipe and smoke it

"cracked" you up did it ? LOL

Mmmm crack haha
I didn't even mean to do that

MSTRS
16th June 2011, 11:11
I think they got lucky in picking one first time round,

Huh? We had the lowered tolerance last Queens B'day, Labour w/e, Xmas-NY and Easter, did we not. With mixed results, as chance would dictate.

bogan
16th June 2011, 11:16
Huh? We had the lowered tolerance last Queens B'day, Labour w/e, Xmas-NY and Easter, did we not. With mixed results, as chance would dictate.

I can't even remember, I thought the first one was a zero death one? or maybe they just shouted the loudest for that one and I had forgotten the others.

ducatilover
16th June 2011, 11:20
Good luck getting a high enough concentrate/dosage of any of them approved by the ministry. if you do, flick it here and I'll sell it :banana: I imagine the ministry isn't so keen on letting people legally consume neurotoxins :drool:

javawocky
16th June 2011, 11:30
So, Zero tollerence = zero deaths Fantastic can't wait for the death toll to be 0 when this is implemented.

Which makes me wonder - if they have a -5km tolerances would people start to rise from the dead? :innocent:

rachprice
16th June 2011, 11:51
Good luck getting a high enough concentrate/dosage of any of them approved by the ministry. if you do, flick it here and I'll sell it :banana: I imagine the ministry isn't so keen on letting people legally consume neurotoxins :drool:

No it's true I don't imagine they would approve it for anyone but funny that technically you can eh?

scumdog
16th June 2011, 11:54
cant base it on one weekend. especially given the weather was shit, and im sure a lot of people wont travel on those weekends, as not only do we have to contend with fucktards filling up the roads, but with the increased police presence makes it weekends to deliberately not go away. easier to use a days holiday and make the following weekend a long one...

There's been another weekend since Q/B that was also free of deaths on the road

oneofsix
16th June 2011, 11:59

But only on the OB weekend did the 4k tolerance apply, therefore the other death free weekend just goes to show that the death free QB weekend was not because of the reduced tolerance.

MSTRS
16th June 2011, 12:00

One with the normal 10k tolerance as usual?

jafar
16th June 2011, 12:03

That isn't unusual, it has happened before & would probably happen again without any prompting from the media or the :Police:

When they can state there were no deaths for over a week I'll be a bit more impressed. :wait:

SPman
16th June 2011, 17:14
cant base it on one weekend. .......Why not - it hasn't stopped pollies in the past - the second they get a result they want - it's all on!

slofox
16th June 2011, 18:52
Far as I am concerned a 10k tolerance or a 5k or 0 k tolerance won't make any difference at all...

Brian d marge
16th June 2011, 22:18
That is one scary photo. You can see she doesn't listen to reason from the look on her face. If she pushes this through the :Police: are going to wear the fall out, respect will drop through the floor.
:tugger: list: Judith Collins & Nick Smith

Id tap that ,,,,,,

Name and address withheld

Morepower
16th June 2011, 22:35
In reality makes bugger all difference if you happen to travel at over 10 kmh above the limit as a matter of habit .... not me of course just some one I know :)