PDA

View Full Version : Police chase in Takapuna - 30/12/2009

KwakaZM
30th December 2009, 08:03
I just witnessed a chase through Takapuna heading towards Milford at 8:40. Just as I was to take the off ramp to join Esmonde Road I heard the cop sirens getting louder, I looked both sides and continued as I couldn’t see any car or ambulance coming.

Suddenly unexpectedly something fast loud and red flew past me, it looked like a red 1000RR must have been an 08-09 model. After taking the off ramp to Esmonde Road on Takapuna I saw these bright lights in the left rear view mirror. As the lights for that lane were red, I assumed it would stop, the next thing I know a guy flying past on my left at break neck speeds. The guy was being chased by 2 cop cars, I reckon he must be riding at around 120-130 on Esmonde Road. He later turned off towards Milford.

I just hope the guy is all right at the end of the chase and gets away with it safely (well his intentions were pretty clear by the riding style and speed).

scumdog
30th December 2009, 08:05
I just hope the guy is all right at the end of the chase and gets away with it safely (well his intentions were pretty clear by the riding style and speed).

His riding style and speed showed he would be getting away 'safely'?

The Everlasting
30th December 2009, 08:07
Blimin stupid,hope he doesn't kill anyone!

fliplid
30th December 2009, 08:16
Just what we need, another pillock.

FJRider
30th December 2009, 08:17
His riding style and speed showed he would be getting away 'safely'?

So safely ... he may try it again ... some other time.

maybe next time ... he may not ... :( ... did you feel safe ... :whistle:

KwakaZM
30th December 2009, 08:17
Blimin stupid,hope he doesn't kill anyone!

He seemed to be an experience rider, but on arterial roads with speeds like that its a recipe for disaster.

The probability of getting into a bad situation is much higher than getting away safely.

jimmy 2006
30th December 2009, 08:42
wouldn't the cops get his plates? then just track him down after?

scumdog
30th December 2009, 08:45

True, I'm sure the bike won't be stolen or have a false plate on it.....or (shock/horror) not even have a plate on it!:shit::rolleyes:

boomer
30th December 2009, 08:51
..or (shock/horror) not even have a plate on it!:shit::rolleyes:

that doesn't happen does it..? :whistle:

KwakaZM
30th December 2009, 08:59
True, I'm sure the bike won't be stolen or have a false plate on it.....or (shock/horror) not even have a plate on it!:shit::rolleyes:

The bike was definately not stolen, I've seen the bike around in Takapuna a couple of times. It has got a custom can (Two Brothers) I think which gives it a pretty distinct sound.

About the number plate I cant recall seeing one but I am sure he must have one just not visible to the naked eye...:cool:

aer0
30th December 2009, 09:02
its ok, he will bin and ACC will take care of him

Dave Lobster
30th December 2009, 09:05
Let's hope he doesn't do a U turn in his bid for freedom.

Dean
The person involved wasn't a thief thank god and he had not crashed, the person has been cuffed and his bike has been towed. Cant reveal any names it seems their is some suppression due to the bizarre circumstances and person.

(My step dad just came back from there talking to one of the officers)

fliplid
About the number plate I cant recall seeing one but I am sure he must have one just not visible to the naked eye...:cool:
Ah, one of those cunning wrapped around the rear shock jobbies, eh?:oi-grr:
Oh, and just cos you seen it around before doesn't mean it hasn't been stolen.

devnull
30th December 2009, 09:08

Not everyone can afford plates after paying ACC :p

cambridgedan
30th December 2009, 09:40

Hahahahahaha or not, im over a year over due for the money they owe me, and they want me to pay more hah,
:argh:

mynameis
30th December 2009, 14:00

Could the plates have been stolen? Could the bike have been stolen? How would you track the rider then??

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha....

wbks
30th December 2009, 14:37
I just hope the guy is all right at the end of the chase and gets away with it safely Someone has to ask... Why?:(

Dean
30th December 2009, 14:40
Could the plates have been stolen? Could the bike have been stolen? How would you track the rider then??

The person has..well had full ownership of his motorcycle, he didnt crash twas an experienced rider but a right idiot onto how it went down, no other road users were harmed. I cant say anymore I will let someone else break the news in detail.

scumdog
30th December 2009, 14:42
The person has..well had full ownership of his motorcycle, he didnt crash twas an experienced rider but a right idiot onto how it went down, no other road users were harmed THIS TIME. I cant say anymore I will let someone else break the news in detail.

Just thought I'd help....

wbks
30th December 2009, 14:47
Just thought I'd help....bikes cant hurt people dumbass only cars, what is wrong with a bike speeding around running from the cops? hope he got away safely. that pissant in the toyota on the motorway, on the other hand...

Grahameeboy
30th December 2009, 14:53
Just shows the dumbness of doing a runner..especially in a built up area like Takapuna....he would have been better off doing a few rights and lefts and popping up the Cycletreads ramp for a bit...plenty of side places to do this but heading the way he was going it was only a matter of time

Grahameeboy
30th December 2009, 14:54
bikes cant hurt people dumbass only cars, what is wrong with a bike speeding around running from the cops? hope he got away safely. that pissant in the toyota on the motorway, on the other hand...

Next please..........................

mynameis
30th December 2009, 15:02
The person has..well had full ownership of his motorcycle, he didnt crash twas an experienced rider but a right idiot onto how it went down, no other road users were harmed. I cant say anymore I will let someone else break the news in detail.

Yes grasshopper.

YellowDog
30th December 2009, 15:26
I just witnessed a chase through Takapuna heading towards Milford at 8:40. Just as I was to take the off ramp to join Esmonde Road I heard the cop sirens getting louder, I looked both sides and continued as I couldn’t see any car or ambulance coming.

Suddenly unexpectedly something fast loud and red flew past me, it looked like a red 1000RR must have been an 08-09 model. After taking the off ramp to Esmonde Road on Takapuna I saw these bright lights in the left rear view mirror. As the lights for that lane were red, I assumed it would stop, the next thing I know a guy flying past on my left at break neck speeds. The guy was being chased by 2 cop cars, I reckon he must be riding at around 120-130 on Esmonde Road. He later turned off towards Milford.

I didn't know that was allowed on the North Shore?

At 8:40 in the morning I suppose there is a reasonable chance to lose the chasing Police in rush hour traffic.

BUT it's holiday time!

Pretty silly really.

kwaka_crasher
30th December 2009, 15:44
This is interesting (well, it is to me).

I found this (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM435033.html):

Land Transport Act 1998 (as at 01 Decmber 2009)
96 Vehicle seized and impounded for 28 days in certain circumstances:

(1AB) An enforcement officer may seize and impound, or seize and authorise the impoundment of, a motor vehicle for 28 days if the officer believes on reasonable grounds that a person driving the vehicle has failed to stop as signalled, requested, or required under section 114(1) or (2).

Section 114 (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM435105.html#DLM435105)

Land Transport Act 1998 (as at 01 Decmber 2009)
Section 114 Power to require driver to stop and give name and address, etc
(1) An enforcement officer who is in uniform, or wearing a distinctive cap, hat, or helmet, with a badge of authority affixed to it, may signal or request the driver of a vehicle to stop the vehicle as soon as is practicable.
(2) An enforcement officer in a vehicle following another vehicle may, by displaying flashing blue, or blue and red, lights or sounding a siren, require the driver of the other vehicle to stop.

But then I found this (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM435118.html):

123 Enforcement officer may seize and impound vehicle for up to 7 days where serious accident or hit and run offence or for failure to stop
(1) An enforcement officer may seize and impound a motor vehicle for such period (which may not exceed 7 days) as is necessary to preserve evidence (or to enable a scientific examination of evidence) or to establish the cause of a serious traffic accident, if the officer believes on reasonable grounds that—
(a) the vehicle has been involved in a serious traffic accident or a hit and run offence; or
(b) the driver has failed to stop in contravention of a signal or request made under section 114(1) or (2).

The same thing twice within the same legislation with differing consequences.

scumdog
30th December 2009, 15:53
This is interesting (well, it is to me).

The same thing twice within the same legislation with differing consequences.

Differing reasons for seize and impounding of vehicle.

FJRider
30th December 2009, 16:06
The key words ... if the officer believes on reasonable grounds that—

Gives the officer on the scene "options" ... you already know yours ...

wbks
30th December 2009, 16:07
The key words ... if the officer believes on reasonable grounds that—

Gives the officer on the scene "options" ... you already know yours ...they wouldn't have options in the first place if he didn't give them to 'em

Dave Lobster
30th December 2009, 16:34
Just thought I'd help....

Careful doing this. 99% of people find it funny. 1% red rep for it.

Apparently, it's dishonest!!

FJRider
30th December 2009, 16:35
they wouldn't have options in the first place if he didn't give them to 'em

The funny part is ... they had fewer options when he started running. :lol:

The more serious ones ... :oi-grr:

Now all bikes fitting that decription ... may be stopped and questioned ... :(

I'm sure those with bikes fitting that decription will thank him and say ... well done ... :whistle:

kwaka_crasher
30th December 2009, 16:42
Differing reasons for seize and impounding of vehicle.

No point in only impounding for 7-days to 'preserve evidence' for failing to stop when you can impound for the 28-days for the same offence... unless there are no search powers under the 28-day impound... hmmm

wbks
30th December 2009, 16:42
The funny part is ... they had fewer options when he started running. :Don't you mean before they started running? No? That's messed up:dodge:

jrandom
31st December 2009, 06:53
At 8:40 in the morning I suppose there is a reasonable chance to lose the chasing Police in rush hour traffic.

There's always a reasonable chance of succeeding with a runner anywhere in town at any time. The sole advantage of a motorcycle is its acceleration. The more slowing down and speeding up required, the more distance you'll put between yourself and the Commodes.

Any maze of twisty little suburban streets all alike, assuming you have a nearby sanctuary you're heading for, is about the best place possible to do a runner.

Running from the cops for fun and profit isn't about riding at race pace. It's about cornering with care and then WOTing it every time you have a bit of clear road in front of you.

Kickaha
31st December 2009, 07:39
bikes cant hurt people dumbass only cars,

Surely no normal person could be that thick? are you University educated?

ynot slow
31st December 2009, 07:39
And funny thing is,we have kids who can't read or write,but somehow know if they attempt a runner the cops will give up the chase especially in built up areas due to public safety.

scumdog
31st December 2009, 07:52
And funny thing is,we have kids who can't read or write,but somehow know if they attempt a runner the cops will give up the chase especially in built up areas due to public safety.

Probably the same kids that think a cop can't give them a ticket unless he's wearing his hat - urban myths abound among the great unwashed, the belief that by going over 150kph will get the chase called off is another one.

Sometimes the pursuit get pulled, sometimes it's not - all depends on circumstances...

Grahameeboy
31st December 2009, 08:09
I didn't know that was allowed on the North Shore?

BUT it's holiday time!

Pretty silly really.

Even if it was busy still hard when the cop station is withing spitting distance.

Grahameeboy
31st December 2009, 08:12
There's always a reasonable chance of succeeding with a runner anywhere in town at any time. The sole advantage of a motorcycle is its acceleration. The more slowing down and speeding up required, the more distance you'll put between yourself and the Commodes.

Any maze of twisty little suburban streets all alike, assuming you have a nearby sanctuary you're heading for, is about the best place possible to do a runner.

Running from the cops for fun and profit isn't about riding at race pace. It's about cornering with care and then WOTing it every time you have a bit of clear road in front of you.

As you know with Lake Road it is easier to slip down a side road when out of site etc....if the guy was heading to Milford he would have had fewer options

Grahameeboy
31st December 2009, 08:12

What were your kids doing up here without you then

Usarka
31st December 2009, 08:37
Probably the same kids that think a cop can't give them a ticket unless he's wearing his hat - urban myths abound among the great unwashed, the belief that by going over 150kph will get the chase called off is another one.

Sometimes the pursuit get pulled, sometimes it's not - all depends on circumstances...

I know a way to get a chase called off.

But sorry folks I aint gunna publish it on the internetz! :nya:

davo
31st December 2009, 10:11

Yeah me too.... PULL OVER

red mermaid
31st December 2009, 10:32

Ohh, another uban legend. I can hardly wait for this bit of wisdom. :stupid:

Usarka
31st December 2009, 11:05
Ok I'll tell - the cops will stop a pursuit if you're insane because obviously your unpredictable and therefore dangerous. So show that you are nuts by doing something like pull down your pants and lay a large turd on the pillion seat.

If for some reason old bill doesn't follow the rules and finally stops you, you can throw the turd at him and run like a bastard while he's chundering and spitting out bits of peanut.

It's all true, my mate who's a cop told me.

wbks
31st December 2009, 11:10
Ok I'll tell - the cops will stop a pursuit if you're insane because obviously your unpredictable and therefore dangerous. So show that you are nuts by doing something like pull down your pants and lay a large turd on the pillion seat.

If for some reason old bill doesn't follow the rules and finally stops you, you can throw the turd at him and run like a bastard while he's chundering and spitting out bits of peanut.

It's all true, my mate who's a cop told me.Well said. I would have just mentioned that it is procedure to abandon pursuits when it is making the runner put the public in danger, but throwing some bandits of your own will at least give you an insanity route when you are caught

Dean
31st December 2009, 11:29

DUDE!! I was just eating pistachio ice cream. farrrr

I still got little peanut grits in my teeth. :puke:

red mermaid
31st December 2009, 11:43
But then they will take up a foot pursuit, as long as they are trained and cleared to do so, are wearing the appropriate footwear, and of course wearing a hat.

ynot slow
31st December 2009, 15:32
What were your kids doing up here without you then

Not them lol,was the collective "we".But have heard a couple of boy tossers saying "we'll hit the juice and cops give up due to dangerous pursuit" so I said you won't mind when I smash your car and dent every panel,you hate cops so won't call them as the cops are cunts,quote "wanking pigs"was said after you got a ticket for licence breach.

kwaka_crasher
31st December 2009, 15:50
...so I said you won't mind when I smash your car and dent every panel,you hate cops so won't call them as the cops are cunts...

Good chance they won't turn up for that trivial matter when there are lunatics doing 55km/h in a 50km/h zone!

Genie
31st December 2009, 15:53

now that's just nuts. you'd be in handcuffs before the shit got out!